Berchmans

Well Known Member
I know that there are numerous threads on this and have read with interest peoples various experiences. I have also contacted Dynon (since that's who I am using) for thier input on a question but still don't have a good answer. And maybe there isn't one but here goes anyway.

First location. I am planning on under the tail and from what I have this will work. My question is on the wiring run.

What I really want to know has anyone installed an LED tail/strobe light, Electric Elevator Trim and run all the wiring for everything in the same conduit? Did it work?

Wiring

When I had the Dynon in my 8, I mounted the magnatometer under the rudder and mounted the temp probe outside high under they horizontal to keep it out of the sun and as much heat from the engine away as possible.

I kept that wire run as far as possible from the strobe, trim and nav wires. Seemed to work fine in that setup.

We mounted the magnetometer on a bracket attached near the top of a bulkhead deep in the tailcone, and made sure to keep its cable well-separated away from all other cables that carried any significant signal, like the tail strobe and transponder antenna coax. I did not want to risk any induced interference to the magnetometer or its cable and apparently the strategy worked since we don't have any problems with it.

Depends?

I mounted the magnetometer of my -6 on the rear deck under the VS. It is affected a few degrees by the stop to stop motion of the steel elevator horn. Not a problem in stable cruise flight where you need an accurate DI but I believe an outboard wing mount is more stable.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

On my 7 it is just ahead of the HS accessible through the two round lightening holes in the bulkhead. Not a bad location for access compared with some.
The original wire run for the tail light was too close to the magnetometer wire and caused a swing when light was turned on. I didn't realise DC current would do that.
I was advised to twist power and ground wires together and I also rerouted them. No further problem.

In my 7, the magnetometer is mounted in a bracket behind the baggage compartment on the very top above the bell crank. There is nearly no affect by any of the controls and the wire runs are shorter then all the way to the tail cone.

Magnetometer

Are you installing a Skyview? Because the magnetometer and the air data sensors are in the same enclosure.

Michael Stephan
Flying RV-8