db8

Well Known Member
I have a mechanic who is building an O-360 A1A parallel valve engine and putting fuel injection on it. Am using electronic ignition on the right side and want to use a Bendix S4LN-21 on the left side. I saw on e-bay a S4LN-204 (item number 130039299382) that didn't sell for his reserve that I can now buy from him. He says I would need to get retard breaker points for it to fit on the left side and would need a starting vibrator for the "shower of sparks" to work. I can get it for $300 plus the retard breaker points, starting vibrator and cost to install it. Does anybody know if this will work for my application, or should I just not mess with it and get the S4LN-21? I know this is all mostly opinion, but I'm all ears on any experience or knowledge on this because I don't know mutch about it. Thanks. Dave RV-8 Fuselage

shower of sparks

The shower of sparks set-up will add weight and complexity, although they do work well when properly maintained. You need the buzz box to mount on the firewall, too. And a special mag switch. "Simplicate and add lightness," John Thorp (I think) said. For my money, I'd skip the ebay deal and buy a new Slick mag with an impulse coupling. Probably about the same dough by the time you are done with the shower of sparks installation, much simpler and easier to maintain, and brand new, too.