CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am reviewing my Slickstart install manual and it says "Electronic tachometers utilizing a magneto pickup are not compatible with Slickstart. Relocate the sensor to the right magneto."

Being new to engines, is the RPM sensor from AFS for their EFIS that screws into the magneto housing a "Magneto Pickup" style?

I can't imagine why a screw in sender would mess witth the Slick Start. They don't interact at all. A P-lead tach would be a different deal.

Yes that is considered a mag pick-up.

I can't imagine why a screw in sender would mess witth the Slick Start. They don't interact at all. A P-lead tach would be a different deal.

I agree with both of the above responses but do think that a "Hull" sensor like you are talking about should work as it is sensing the magnetic field to supply the pulse.

Reading L-1492 Rev E dated 03-01-09 says:

3.0 OPERATION
SlickSTART? has been designed and tested to work in conjunction with conventional magneto systems.
SlickSTART? does not affect procedures or intervals for inspection, maintenance or overhaul of the magnetos and harnesses with which it interfaces. The aircraft owner may notice a reduction in maintenance costs
associated with starter motors and batteries as SlickSTART? can reduce duty cycles and electrical stresses of these components during engine starting. However, all normal engine accessory maintenance and
inspection procedures and intervals should be accomplished.
3.1 Starting
SlickSTART? receives input power from the switched positive terminal of the starter motor, and should be activated only when the starter motor is engaged. During engine start, SlickSTART? draws a maximum of
5 amperes at 6 to 25 volts (P/N SS1001) and delivers a series of fast rising 375 volt maximum pulses to the primary of the magneto coil. This voltage is stepped up in the secondary of the coil, and is impressed across
the spark plug electrodes through the magneto distributor and the high voltage harness. As a result, each plug fires with a very high energy, multi-strike spark as described in Section 1. Proper ignition timing is
achieved through the normal operation of the impulse coupling or retard breakers.
As the engine starts, and the ignition switch transitions from the ?Start? position to the ?Both? position, SlickSTART? is deactivated when input power to the starter motor is terminated. SlickSTART? is not
contributing to the conventional engine ignition system after the engine has started.
3.2 Piloting
With the exception of a noticeable improvement in engine starting, SlickSTART? operation is transparent to the pilot. No modifications to the aircraft flight manual or engine starting procedures are required.

From the above, the 375 V on the p-lead sounds like it would be a bad thing to many electronic tachs.

Putting the sensor that you have in the right non-impulse coupled mag may be a better way to go as all of us know that it will work. If you install it in the impulse mag and it works, great. If it does not work, you will need to pull both mags and move the pickup to the non-impulse mag.

I run LASAR mags. I have a UMA pickup sender (may be the same one you have from AFS) in my Right mag and that is my "Sensor" mag. I have a "Bush" Kit so the left mag has an impulse coupler that will start my engine with a dead battery of the LASAR system not working. I have RPM indication with the LASAR system on or off from the pickup.

Is this silver nut with the holes in the magneto the correct hole for the magneto pick up sensor?

WP_000178.jpg