carl nank

Well Known Member
Somebody had a post recently regarding magneto ignition wireing. He said Superior said to not follow the pictures in the manual and instead look at the distributer cap as they are marked with numbers to determine the wiring order.

I am glad he made his post because I also used the picture for my wiring.

Well I looked at my mag. caps on my Superior IO-360 parallel valve Slick mag, and there is only one mark on it that identifies the #1 cylinder. Now, the question is, which way do the magnetoes turn. so I can properly wire my ignition.

The magneto on the right side, looking from the cockpit, Says RH on it. The mag. on the left side says LH on it. The question is, Does RH mean the mag. belongs on the right hand side ar does it mean it turns top to the right. Also, does the left mag turn in the same direction or the opposite directon since it says LF.

I have had several folks state opposing statements. I appreciate someone confirming the above.

So many ways to *****-up.

Thanks,

Carl,

All the newer Slick harnesses I have seen have the cylinder/plug ID stamped into the spark plug end of the wire - check for a "T1", "B1", etc....if not, then yeah, someone will have to get out a manual for you - I don't have one handy.

paul

Even the older ones seem to also have those stampings on the end. Check them out, they may be marked.

Yeah...I posted Superior's answer.

To figure out where each plug wire attaches at the spark plug end, look at the screw-on cap that attaches to each plug. It will (should) have the plug location stamped there.

Once you have the plug wires routed as they should be, you can try the following to determine Mag rotation direction (RH / LH) and see if it actually matches what you are about to verify:

1) chose one mag to start with, and find the plug wire that goes to the #1 cylinder. That will be your starting point.

2) Determine the firing order for your engine (it usually starts with #1).

3) From #2 above, determine the second cylinder that fires, (and if it is #3) follow the next plug wire from the Mag and see which one goes to the #3 cylinder. If it ends up at a different cylinder, then try the "other wire" on the "other" side of the previously established #1 wire position. At this point, it does not matter if the plug wire terminates at a "Top" or "Bottom" plug location. You just want to determine which cylinder.

4) Keep moving around the mag, and you should have a clear "clock" direction mapped out on the mag, following in order with the established engine firing order.

5) Do the same for the second mag.

6) Compare these rotation directions with the marked RH / LH and you should be able to tell the rest of use the results.

Hope this helps...

Ignition wireing

OK, I missed it.

Thanks to you folks, I rechecked the ignition wires for a marking at the spark plug end.

It turns out, the SILVER NUT that screws to the top of the spark plugs is embossed with the cylinder and top or bottom with the code, (T1,T2,T3 & T4) for the top plugs and cylinder. The bottoms are (B1, B2, B3 and B4). I obviously did not look there. Not too bright!

In following the wires back, I found out that both mag's turn counter clockwise from the aft end of the engine (cockpit).

I did have it correctly wired but know I know it is correct.

Thank you all for guiding me.