Lionclaw

Well Known Member
001.JPG

Has anyone worked with these types of magneto cushions? The cushions have little tabs that stick out. Do they need to be trimmed, or should the retainer have slots?

The cushions are 68H22624 and the retainer is 68875.

Last edited:
Ah well, what fun. Just spoke with airsuppliers and lycoming tech support. Airsuppliers originally told me the lw-12136 part number had been superceded with 68H22624. Lycoming said they were at one point looking for ways to keep the cushions from falling into the engine, but he couldn't find any part numbers for a retainer that had slots for the cushions.

He gave me pn lw-16784 which is a new pre-assembled retainer with cushions. I guess I could order that, or just place an order for the older cushions.

This is for d2000, d3000 magnetos on an h2ad engine. Maybe someone else will find this useful.

There's three different versions of the cushioned magneto drive gear. Unfortunately they don't make it very clear in the parts books. But you can trim the tab off and be good to go, as you said the only reason why they're there is to keep them from dropping into the engine on the newer drive gears.

I called Airsuppliers back to see if they would swap the 68H22624 parts with the original parts I had tried to order, LW-12136. They were after all the ones who told me I needed the newer part, which their system shows supercedes the original. If they were going to tell me to buy the new cushions, then they should also have sold me a new type of retainer, instead of two products that were incompatible.

The woman on the phone was friendly, but she insisted that I would have to ship back the old items and pay $17 and change shipped for the correct ones.

Not exactly big $$$, but this isn't the type of customer service I've come to expect from the places I buy my parts. I ordered the correct parts from AeroInstock instead.

I will NOT be placing any more orders with airsuppliers, and I will NOT be recommending them to anyone as a good source of aircraft parts.