Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I am finishing up some final details around the engine. I am concerned about the proximity of the the Magneto to the Odyssey battery. Please review the photo.
Magneto-Cover1.jpg

1. With the cap in place the spark plug wires are very close to the battery. Might rub during engine start and stop.

2. I have removed the mag to gain access to the oil lines and will need to re-time the mag. I decided to see if I could get the cover off with the battery so close. First I had to loosen the mag and rotate it to get to one of the cover screws. Then I tried to remove the cover but the battery is in the way. So I am a bit concerned that when I actually go to time the mag I might not be able to access the screws to secure the cap. I haven't tried this without the battery in place but it looks like the only way to do it.

I have a new Superior XP-IO-360 with dual mags each has an impulse coupling. I believe my battery is mounted in the right position (per print).

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Yup.. that's what mine looked like initially.. fixed pretty much immediately by "putting" a Lightspeed on the right side, so instead of that big mag I just had a small cover over the hole... Best fix for the problem you could ask for :) Simple, and very, very efficient..

Paul I got the same problem on my O-320 D3G engine. Not sure what the solution is because I'm keeping the mags. As far as an electronic ignition I'm thinking about the G3 Ignition system. The right mag has to come off when I need to remove the battery.

I mounted my battery per the plans which looks like you did as well. Anybody reading this who hasn't mounted their battery might consider mounting it lower than the plans.

I just walked to the hangar and checked the arrangement through the oil dip stick door.

It is similar but the battery can be removed without removing the mag. The mag wires, which are standard Slick, clear the battery easily. What is different about your set up are the wires, they appear to need more room to bend aft and also your mag cover is not attached to the mag. My wires are forward of the battery and above it.

Could be the dimensions in that area are slightly different than the standard Lycoming parallel valve engine.

Usually only the left mag has the impulse coupling, the coupling takes up at least an additional inch (or more). If you put a non impulse mag on the right there is much more room.

P-Mags???

Can someone please comment on how a p-mag fits here? I have no idea about their size.

P-Mags Smaller

P-Mags are much smaller. That would be another good easy fix. Easy to time also. You gotta love that blow in the tube process....

I have dual slicks and will still go with that for now. I have a bit more room than what you are showing in the picture. But I will be rechecking the next time I am at the hangar for battery removal after seeing that picture for sure.

Update

Thanks for the input.

I rotated the magneto counterclockwise to see how far I could rotate it and still have access to the clamp nuts. I was able to get in the position shown in the photo and also was able to access the cover screws and remove the cover. The magneto isn't timed so I am not certain once timed I will get it in this exact position but I am optimistic.

rotated-mag1.jpg

Superior shipped engines with both mags with impulse couplers (standard configuration) and engines with only one (optional). I got the standard so the magneto is very close to the battery. For those who don't have this close encounter, you probibly have only one mag with an impulse coupler (left mag).

I hope this information helps someone.