JDanno

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend install a Slick brand "shower of sparks" on his IO-540 with two Slick 6393 mags. Installation info says to connect one wire to the #3 terminal on the buzz box and the other to the retard breaker terminal on the left magneto. I don't see ANY retard terminal on that mag. Do some of the 6393 mags come with no retard breaker? Also doesn't have impulse coupling either. Help!!!😄

Mags

The easy answer is the shower of sparks takes place of the impulse coupler so you don't need the impulse.
One of the mags needs to have two terminals, one is for the normal on/off switch, which is grounded out during the start. The other terminal is for the shower of sparks used only during the start. Maybe take a pic of both mags? Need to see the rear of the mag. How was the engine/mags set up originally?
If you can look inside of each mag, you should see one with two sets of points, hopefully, if not?

I"d check the model number on the data plate. Typically for retard breaker installs you have a 6393 retard breaker mag on the left and a 6350 plain mag (no retard breaker or impulse coupling) on the right. As noted, the 6393 will definitely have a 2nd terminal but it's less prominent than the p-lead and IIRC it's on the opposite side from the data plate and not on the back like the p-lead.

I"d check the model number on the data plate. Typically for retard breaker installs you have a 6393 retard breaker mag on the left and a 6350 plain mag (no retard breaker or impulse coupling) on the right. As noted, the 6393 will definitely have a 2nd terminal but it's less prominent than the p-lead and IIRC it's on the opposite side from the data plate and not on the back like the p-lead.

+1
You have to look around to find the retard connection on the 6393 mag, but it's there. I presume you are installing a 'Slick Start' box, which is a newer version of the older mechanical shower of sparks boxes.

Thanks! Just the advice I needed. The terminal was really buried deep under the mag. Got it fixed!