rgmwa

Well Known Member
I will be installing a vertical card magnetic compass in the panel (Precision PAI 700), together with a Skyview and an SL40 radio. How close can the compass be to these electronic gadgets without risking interference from their magnetic fields?

I will be installing a vertical card magnetic compass in the panel (Precision PAI 700), together with a Skyview and an SL40 radio. How close can the compass be to these electronic gadgets without risking interference from their magnetic fields?

Sorry, I can't answer your question due to not having personal experience with that particular combination of avionics.

But.....why are you installing a magnetic compass in a panel that has a Skyview? You may have a very good reason, but the Dynon has a fantastic heading indicator--far more reliable and accurate than a mag compass.

I have been struggling with this deciosn also. I thought the regs required a magnetic compass for IFR flight. I too have a dynon d6 and also the garmin g3x. Both have electronic magnetic compasses. Because they require power to operate, do they qualify for the FAR requirement?

Robert the magnet in 700 is somewhat different from regular Whiskey and behaves better I heard. Why not to power on all your electronics and test deviation on your compass empirically? You may be surprised of performance just an inch from your SkyView.

I have been struggling with this deciosn also. I thought the regs required a magnetic compass for IFR flight. I too have a dynon d6 and also the garmin g3x. Both have electronic magnetic compasses. Because they require power to operate, do they qualify for the FAR requirement?

Yes, the digital heading indicator in the EFIS satisfies IFR requirements, no additional compass needed in order to be legal. "Requiring power" is not found in the regs.

This topic has been discussed many times on VAF. The Search engine will uncover lots of posts about what is required for IFR ops.

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't answer your question due to not having personal experience with that particular combination of avionics.

But.....why are you installing a magnetic compass in a panel that has a Skyview? You may have a very good reason, but the Dynon has a fantastic heading indicator--far more reliable and accurate than a mag compass.

Thanks Sam. A backup magnetic compass is a CASA requirement in Australia. Otherwise I probably wouldn't install one.

Robert the magnet in 700 is somewhat different from regular Whiskey and behaves better I heard. Why not to power on all your electronics and test deviation on your compass empirically? You may be surprised of performance just an inch from your SkyView.

Vlad, that's a very practical suggestion, and I will do that once I have the panel assembled. Probably need the engine running as well? However, I've seen mag compasses in many different locations in pictures of other builder's panels, and was just wondering if there were any rules of thumb for these things.

While it's not required it is one of 2 gauges that we installed (the other was AS) along with an oil and alt light...

Because, if you have a hardware failure ... you can't look outside and see how fast you are going and you can't always tell what direction you are going....:eek:

Thanks Sam. A backup magnetic compass is a CASA requirement in Australia. Otherwise I probably wouldn't install one.

Ok....didn't know that......

While it's not required it is one of 2 gauges that we installed (the other was AS) along with an oil and alt light...

Because, if you have a hardware failure ... you can't look outside and see how fast you are going and you can't always tell what direction you are going....:eek:

Wouldn't a battery powered GPS be far more useful than a mag compass? But...just wanting a compass in your panel is reason enough for installing it. :)

(Yes, GPS is ground speed but we should be able to land our RV without an airspeed indicator....)

Last edited:
still interested in the 'location' question......

I am re-locating my compass to the panel, and also wonder if I have the choice, should I avoid the electric T&B if I can use a hole next to the Altimeter, or tach, or ....????

thanks gang!

flyboy,
My compass was 50 degrees off on some headings when it was mounted right beside the electric T&B. Swapping the compass with the instrument just to the left of it makes it accurate on all headings. Next to the altimeter should be fine.
Also, you might check your control stick and other steel parts in the vicinity of the panel. My stick and canopy bow were magnetized.

My whiskey compass ...

is panel mounted immediately adjacent to my GRT Sport display. It works fine. Before I put it there, I called GRT and asked if their EFISs affected a whiskey compass. They said not to their knowledge.

re-location in progress

flyboy,
My compass was 50 degrees off on some headings when it was mounted right beside the electric T&B. Swapping the compass with the instrument just to the left of it makes it accurate on all headings. Next to the altimeter should be fine.
Also, you might check your control stick and other steel parts in the vicinity of the panel. My stick and canopy bow were magnetized.

thanks Bruce...exactly what I wanted to know.
I'll move it up one hole, next to the altimeter.....the g-meter can go down; added bonus, no plumbing involved for either swap!
( of course, I ain't at the airport yet, surely murphy is on his way already!!!! :( )

Have you checked on the life expectancy of the Vertical card compass when solid mounted in the panel?
I too have been contemplating the same compass but just a bit concerned about the durability when mounted in the dash. I'm pretty sure this is the reason they (Precision) sell the various mounting brackets to reduce the shock vibrations transmitted to the actual compass assembly. It would be great if someone experienced with a solid mount installation could comment.