Craig23

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm thinking of mounting a magnetic compass in the upper corner of my RV-8 panel, and I wanted to hear from people who mounted their compasses in similar locations. I'm worried about interference from the roll bar. Any feedback?

I mounted my compass in the upper righthand corner of my 7 panel. It works fine. Make sure to keep any electrical wires and steel away from it.

Compass

Hi All,

I'm thinking of mounting a magnetic compass in the upper corner of my RV-8 panel, and I wanted to hear from people who mounted their compasses in similar locations. I'm worried about interference from the roll bar. Any feedback?

Craig:

Try moving the compass around in front of the panel. Note any big swings in direction. These would be the places "not" to mount it.

I mounted mine in the lower center, figuring that location would require the least adjustment of the compensating magnets to keep it giving a good reading.

I put mine on the top shelf of my tool box,used the dynon for heading indication!:p

I bought a previously flying, but currently disassembled -8. This airplane had the compass mounted on the glareshield. I'm doing the same thing as 174Bob&Nancy. I removed the compass, and will be relying on the Dynon EFIS D-100 for magnetic heading information. If the EFIS throws craps on me the GPS will get me where I need to go. If you have this sort of setup in your airplane you might want to consider it.

Whisky Compass

I put mine on the top shelf of my tool box,used the dynon for heading indication!:p

I considered this too, but I figured that if the electrons decided to exit the plane "en-mass", I'd have the airspeed, altimiter and whisky compass working without the aid of said electrons. I figured that with a Sectional and the above instruments, I could find my way to an airport and land.

Craig:

Mine is on the far left side, mid-panel. There's a picture in my write-up in the Virtual Hangar section. Look for Chris Pratt's RV-8. It's an old post so you'll probably need to go back a year or 18 months to see it.

I've experienced no problem with the location.

Chris

Not near the hobbs meter

Don't place it anywhere near the hobbs meter. I had to relocate my hobbs meter as it was causing major interference. Every little 'tick' on meter caused the compass to swing. :)

Hi All,