BJohnson

Well Known Member
Can the magnemometer connected to an EFIS meet the VFR FAR 91.205 requirements for a magnetic direction indicator? Is this one of those things that are left to the discretion of the DAR and can vary?

It met in my case, using a Dynon. I've not heard of anyone having any issues. Getting ready to use the Grand Rapids one here shortly.

Dynon magnetometer DOES meet 91.205 requirement.

Can the magnetometer connected to an EFIS meet the VFR FAR 91.205 requirements for a magnetic direction indicator?
Yes! This has been discussed thoroughly at our annual seminars. It MAY vary between DARs, but it should not.

Brice,

As everyone else has said, it does meet the requirement.

However, I did Velcro a whiskey compass on the glair shield for my inspection by the local FISDO and removed it as soon as he left, just to avoide the discussion.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want a compass? What will you do if your EFIS goes Tango Uniform?

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want a compass? What will you do if your EFIS goes Tango Uniform?
Two reasons.

1st. I'm VFR only and should be able to find an airport close by. Also, the Dynon has a battery backup, should my electrics go Tango Uniform.
2nd. I have a 496 which also has a battery backup. It is highly unlikely both will go out at the same time.

Thus no need for a compass.

In Canada we MUST have a magnetic compass on board that is independant of any electrical system. If we don't the inspectors will not pass the final inspection. If we remove it and ever get ramp checked and it is missing a stiff warning may happen or fines handed down.

Thanks for the clarification!

My mission is the same as Bill's with the same equipment, day and easy night flying with a 496 with battery as a backup, and a map and finger for triple redundancy. Plus all those tip up arguments about how the compass on the diagonal brace blocks the view in a slider, and the my percieved flakiness of panel mounted compasses has me thinking about not installing one. Although it has to be the simplest stand alone instrument one could install along with the ball.