f14av8r

Well Known Member
My Bendix is up for overhaul. Instead of spending $400+ on an overhaul, I'm considering replacing the mag with a PMAG. I can get an E-MAG PMAG for $1400. Yes, it's a lot more than the overhaul but, it should work a lot better and never require an overhaul.

I saw a used SLICK MAG advertised here for $1800 dollars. I'm really just trying to understand the difference in technology. Why would anybody spend $1800 or more on a mechanical magneto when a newer technology electronic solution is available for less money.

For reference, I have a LightSpeed Plasma on the other side. I'm attracted to the E-Mag system because there is no external control box and it has it's own power supply.

If I'm missing something, please chime in!
Thanks,
Randy

A new slick costs about $800-900. Then there are plugs, harness, etc. still, $1,800 for a slick must be a typo, unless it is for a set of 2 with harnesses and plugs.

Nope, you are right Randy. There is no reason not to go with the P-mag to replace your standard mag.

However, since you will still have mixed ignitions, keep in mind, just like with the Bendix and Lightspeed, they will fire at slightly different times, so you won't get the full benefit of having two Lightspeeds or two P-mags.

This is because the timing curves are different on both electronic ignitions. I'm not saying one is better than the other, only that they are different.

I agree with Bill

Why not two of the same units. I have two pmags, wow it's really nice. My plane starts like a car and runs so smooth.

Yes and no. The company, Emag, started out with the Emag product, which they improved to the Pmag. Emag didn't have an internal alternator, so if it lost power, it would quit. The Pmag was improved to include the brushless alternator to power itself if it lost power. They no longer make the Emag, just the Pmag. There are probably still a lot of Emags out there, and they look just the same, but it is recommended to send them in and getting them converted to a Pmag.

The $1800 magneto in the post you referenced is a 6-cylinder mag. There is no Pmag replacement for a 6-cylinder (yes, they say it's coming "soon" and has been for the last decade or so). The drive gears alone on a 6-cylinder slick are upwards of $1,000.

Your signature line says you have an O-360. You can come by mags MUCH cheaper than $1800 each.

However, since you will still have mixed ignitions, keep in mind, just like with the Bendix and Lightspeed, they will fire at slightly different times, so you won't get the full benefit of having two Lightspeeds or two P-mags.

This is because the timing curves are different on both electronic ignitions. I'm not saying one is better than the other, only that they are different.

A good friend is running a pMag and a Lightspeed (RV-8). He installed the pMag after one of his Lightspeeds died. He'll install a second pMag when the remaining Lightspeed dies. While the timing curves are slightly different, they are a much closer match than that between a magneto and either electronic ignition.

I agree however that a better end solution would be two pMags.

Carl
RV-8 - 500 flawless hours on dual pMags
RV-10 - still running these @!#% mags while waiting for the six cylinder pMag

I've been told that one P-Mag gets you 80% of the improvement you can get with 2 P-Mags.

Anyone else heard this?

For discussion purposes, yes. exact percentages aside, replacing 50% of the magnetos with EI buys you well over 50% of the benefit

With one P-mag I got the expected efficiency, added the other one and got a much nicer idle but did not notice more efficiency.

Larry

With one P-mag I got the expected efficiency, added the other one and got a much nicer idle but did not notice more efficiency.

Larry
FWIW, my experience was the same. BUT I no longer have the 500hr inspection to worry about.

:cool:

The amount of benefit the second EI adds is strongly related to how the airplane is used to begin with. If your primary mission is a lot of high altitude, LOP cruise, you are going to see the results much more clearly than if you are low and rich. Additionally, when high and lean, the proper curve becomes much more important. In this condition, one degree of advance either side of optimum is likely to show up as a hit to performance.

High, lean, and dialed in - you will see the benefit of a second EI.