rwarre

Well Known Member
I am using the Z11 diagram for my RV 7A, Lycoming o320. I bought the mag switches and both are spring loaded, (2-5). My question is why would I need both switches to be spring loaded when only the left switch is used to start the engine. (only the left mag is impulse coupled)

I am using the Z11 diagram for my RV 7A, Lycoming o320. I bought the mag switches and both are spring loaded, (2-5). My question is why would I need both switches to be spring loaded when only the left switch is used to start the engine. (only the left mag is impulse coupled)

The right mag switch doesn't need to be spring loaded, but I went with them both being the same to keep it simple and to have a fewer parts count.
As installed both switches are momentary up and maintained down.
As wired the right mag switch momentary up position does nothing.

I probably should pick up a spare (2-5) switch to put in my tool bag.

Mark

It would also help...

The right mag switch doesn't need to be spring loaded, but I went with them both being the same to keep it simple and to have a fewer parts count.
As installed both switches are momentary up and maintained down.
As wired the right mag switch momentary up position does nothing.

I probably should pick up a spare (2-5) switch to put in my tool bag.

Mark

...visually.

Both toggles would be in the same relative position when both magnetos are ON using the (2-5) switches.

If the right switch was a usual on/off switch (with no center position), it would look different in the ON position with its higher toggle position - that would be confusing at a quick glance.

That's right!

...visually.

Both toggles would be in the same relative position when both magnetos are ON using the (2-5) switches.

If the right switch was a usual on/off switch (with no center position), it would look different in the ON position with its higher toggle position - that would be confusing at a quick glance.

Very good point, Gil.

Also,

When both switches are the same you have an automatic replacement on board for the same price/weight.

Bevan