jsharkey

Well Known Member
I'm checking the wiring of my mags and mag switch with an ohm meter and in all ignition switch positions, OFF/L/R/BOTH, there is low resistance to ground of ~1 ohm. If I disconnect the mag leads from the switch and the little jumper bar for the impulse mag then the terminals read as they should - both grounded in the OFF position, both infinite resistance in the BOTH position and alternating in the L & R positions.

I'm a Mech. Eng. so can any of you spark chasers out there help me understand what I'm missing? What should the connection at the mags look like? There is a big phenolic washer and a shiny tinned surface at the mag lead connection. Where does the lug go relative to these?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

I'm checking the wiring of my mags and mag switch with an ohm meter and in all ignition switch positions, OFF/L/R/BOTH, there is low resistance to ground of ~1 ohm. If I disconnect the mag leads from the switch and the little jumper bar for the impulse mag then the terminals read as they should - both grounded in the OFF position, both infinite resistance in the BOTH position and alternating in the L & R positions.

I'm a Mech. Eng. so can any of you spark chasers out there help me understand what I'm missing? What should the connection at the mags look like? There is a big phenolic washer and a shiny tinned surface at the mag lead connection. Where does the lug go relative to these?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

The mag "P" lead is across the beaker points, so if the points are closed you will read the short across the points plus the wiring resistance. If the points are open you will read the coil primary resistance which is probably about 0.5 ohm to 1 ohm.