Dave Bernard

Greetings All,

I'm wrapping up my electrical system in my -8 and ran the mag wires this morning. All was well until I decided to test the switch operation, which left me a little befuddled...

I powered up the system and checked the connections with my voltmeter and was thrown for a loop. With the switch (A-510-2) on R, I get 12 volts through the left mag connection and 0 though the R mag connection (with the jumper.) It's the opposite with the switch in L. With Both, I get 0 volts through either connection!

Do I have a faulty switch, or do I just not fundamentally understand how this all works?

I've been searching/ reading all morning and still can't wrap my head around this. Thanks!

Also..... with the Plane power alternator I don't need to add any external over volt protection or regulator, correct?

Mags are grounded to turn them off.

With the switch in the off position, both mag terminals should be showing ground. With the mag switch in Both, the terminals should be simply open, no connection to either ground or b+.

In the Left position, the right mag will be grounded, and vice versa.

The only thing that gets switched b+ is the starter, or starting vibrator if equipped.

There is a ground terminal that must be hooked up to chassis ground, so the internal connections will work to turn off the mags.

A-510-2-INSTALL-DIA.jpg

Last edited: