ron sterba

Well Known Member
I made the p-leads and was wondering how you routed them from the mags to the ignition switch. My thought is,, coming of the mag i would place both mag wires in 1/4" corrugated split plastic tubing. First fastening from the mag would be on the engine at the tach cable hole (capped off) then strapped to top tubing of the engine mount, then through a hole on the firewall ( Vans split stainless plates with rubber grommet) through plastic bushings in sub panel then to ignition switch. (At the point it goes through the firewall was thinking a little bracket to hold plastic tubing centered over the pass thru hole with some RTV caulking) or maybe not. Open to all your thoughts on the subject. I was told to keep my leads away from the other sensor leads so thats what I am thinking at this point.Your thoughts of anything I should know about this wire run. Pictures always appreciated.

Thonks,
Ron in Oregon Rv9A

Ron,

Mine go through the FW in a bundle with all the other wires. No extra tubing or stuff. P-leads are shielded wires so shouldn't cause any issues. I haven't had any issues in 650 hours. Support them wherever seems appropriate, but leave enough slack for engine movement in the mount.

Cheers,
Greg

I did have quite a bit of radio static from the wires between the ignition switch and the EMS module. Standard wiring was replaced with shielded wiring and fixed that problem.

Thanks Greg! I feel better now that Iam walking out of the tunnel and can see light. I'll keep them supported and I am using 18 awg shielded. I bought those grounding rings with the wire attached that side up on and over the shield wire and then you use a heat gun to melt the ring. Then just a couple on ring terminals.Bought them all at STEINAIR,should be here today. I also have a Catto 3 blade prop. Do you find the 3 blade quieter than a two blade and less vibration? Mines in a box on the floor waiting for a install. Mine RV9A should be flying by Jun 30 2014. It better be!

Dave thanks for the heads up on the twin Dynons you have. I too have the DYNONS 10" & 7". That will be next to hook up. You mentioned about the noise to EMS unit. Was it that you did not (Standard wiring) have shielded mag leads to the ignition switch? or was it the EMS main wiring harness where the sensor leads came together with the ignition wires. Which wire/s did you change to shielded wire? Very informative Dave,glad you brought it up.

Dave on another note. I built a shelf between the sub panel and instrument panel right behind the Dynon 10" for the ABS-B,Transponder,EMS,, Was thinking of mounting the EMS unit up on the sub panel, and the other units on the shelf. Where did you place yours? Any suggestions for me to consider?

Thanks
Ron in Oregon N421HJ