prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out the correct orientation for the connector that goes on the back of my mag. I have a slick mag, on the left (the right is a Lightspeed). One of the 4 output wires on the back of the connector is labelled with a "1" (the others are unlabelled). The back of the mag has the left side marked "L", the right side marked "R", and the bottom marked "X". See pics.
Two questions:
1) Which way does the connector cap get attached to the mag? There are three possible ortientations (three screws).

2) I presume the wire labelled "1" goes to cylinder 1. Which cylinders do the other wires go to?

The cap will only go on one way when the wires are placed in the holes where they belong. The L & R markings are next to the holes where you place the timing pin.
Instructions Copied from Sacremento Sky Ranch Website

1. TIMING INSTRUCTIONS ARE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX.

INSERT THE T-118
TIMING PIN IN THE L OR HOLE OF THE DISTRIBUTOR BLOCK, DEPENDING UPON THE ROTATION OF THE MAGNETO. REFER TO THE MAGNETO DATA PLATE FOR MAGNETO ROTATION

2. TURN THE ROTOR SHAFT OPPOSITE THE SPECIFIED DIRECTION OF ROTATION UNTIL THE TIMING PIN IS INSERTED APPROXIMATELY 7/8" INTO THE DISTRIBUTOR BLOCK. WHEN PROPERLY ENGAGED, THE TIMING PIN WILL "SEAT" AGAINST THE DISTRIBUTOR BLOCK. NOTE: IF THE ROTOR SHAFT CANNOT BE TURNED AND THE TIMING PIN IS NOT SEATED 7/8" INTO THE DISTRIBUTOR BLOCK, REMOVE THE PIN. TURN THE ROTOR SHAFT 1/8" TURN AND REINSERT THE PIN. TURN THE ROTOR SHAFT 1/8" AND REINSERT TIMING PIN. THEN REPEAT STEPS 1 AND 2 ABOVE

3. WITH THE PIN FULLY INSERTED INTO THE DISTRIBUTOR BLOC,, THE MAGNETO IS NOW ALIGNED TO FIRE CYLINDER NO 1.

4. AFTER THE MAGNETO IS INSTALLED ON THE ENGINE, REMOVE THE TIMING PIN. PROCEED BY FOLLOWING ENGINE MANUFACTURER'S TIMING PROCEDURES.

Last edited:
L and R

The cap will only go on one way when the wires are placed in the holes where they belong. The L & R markings are next to the holes where you place the timing pin to set the mag up to be installed in either the left or right position. Put the pin in the left hole for the left mag and the R hole for the right.

Going from memory here ... but I believe R is for right hand rotation, and L is for left hand rotation.

Ah yes, the cap does only go on one way. thanks!
Aerosport installed my mag on the engine, so I shouldn't have to worry about a timing pin should I?
What about the wires... which wires go to which plugs?

Look at the Wires

Ah yes, the cap does only go on one way. thanks!
Aerosport installed my mag on the engine, so I shouldn't have to worry about a timing pin should I?
What about the wires... which wires go to which plugs?

Look at the caps on the end of the wires,(where it screws onto the spark plug. You will see a stamp that indicates the cylinder and orientation. i.e. T-2 = Cyl 2, top...B-3 = Cyl 3, bottom.

ah yes, you're right. But with my setup, the lightspeed coils are on the top and so all the top cylinders are fed from that. Can I plug the "T" wires from the mag into the bottom plugs of teh corresponding cylinders?

Left hand rotating slick

Number 1 should attach to cylinder 1. Going counter-clockwise is number 2 then number 3 and so on. I am assuming the mag has been internally timed (a pin that locates the shaft in the L hole to open E gap at 25 degrees BTC on cylinder number one) so all you have to do is attach the wires.

Going counter-clockwise is number 2 then number 3 and so on

This does not correspond to the numbering on the plug ends of the wires coming out the back. Going counter-clockwise from 1, the order of my wires is 1,4,3,2.

What about the T vs B? Can I put all my mag wires to the bottoms of the cylinders (since the tops are all fed by the lightspeed coils)?

I've emailed Aerosport for confirmation...

Just ignore "T" and "B" and go by numbers only... T1 will go to cylinder #1.. and will work fine either at top plug or bottom plug location.

Remember, (with two mags) both plugs fire at same time, so it doesn't matter whether it's top or bottom that the wire's connected to... it doesn't care..

We know:
1. The mag is installed and properly timed as received from Aerosport.
2. The cap can be properly installed in one orientation so the 4 plug connectors go in their holes and the 2 screw holes also line up.
SO:
The spark plug connectors on the harness are stamped with something like 2T or 3B. Those marks indicate the cylinder number and top or bottom plug. You can ignore the top/bottom (because you have a Lightspeed) and just go with the cylinder numbers.