DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Recently we've had some excellent conversations about fittings and fuel lines. Darwin made a very good point; never assume all the available components of a type are the same quality. In his case it was steel-braided teflon lines from an unknown manufacturer which didn't perform nearly as well as we're come to expect from top product lines.

Yesterday I received a 90 degree fitting for my engine driven fuel pump from Aircraft Spruce. I've gotten in the habit of carefully examining things. In this case it didn't take much to raise eyebrows:

I drove over to the local Parker outlet and bought a 6-C50X-S for comparison. Here's the Parker on the left and the mystery import on the right:

The fun starts when you look close. The next photos were shot through a 10x magnifier with an ordinary digital camera. Not great photos, but they serve the purpose.

First the straight threads on the import. Note the various tooling marks, peeling plating, pits, and damaged threads:

Same threads on the Parker fitting:

The fatigue strength of a fluid fitting is almost entirely dependent on two things, tensile strength of the material and surface finish. I have no idea about the import fitting's material or manufacturing method. I do know the Parker fitting is forged. As for surface finish, the difference is obvious. Tool marks are stress risers, and failed plating will allow corrosion in service creating even more stress risers.

To be perfectly precise, Aircraft Spruce has not violated any rule or law. The web page listing states the pump fittings are not certified and makes no representation regarding source or manufacturer. Each builder will need to make his own determination of "good enough" for his airplane. Speaking for myself, the import fitting is unacceptable.

The lessons are obvious; avoid assumptions about quality. Regardless of source, do your homework and be careful who you trust. Never install anything without a close look.

Last edited:
GREAT REPORT!!! BUY AMERICAN!!!

Thats why even on Experimental aircraft you ought to use as much certified PMA parts. this China importation of cheap parts is going to byte us all in the behind...I am surprised Spruce is getting into the practice of getting cheap imports as well....

Funny thing...I was at wallmart yesterday looking for a fan for my office desk...I could not find anything other than made in china...I end up going home empty handed...on the way there I stopped at an antique shop and purchase an old american made fan. Changed the wire, sprayed some contact cleaner all over and works great. Besides, it looks good as well with a little retro look that looks like an old toaster!!!

Hey, some really great stuff comes from China...Chow Mein, egg foo yung, pot stickers....

Mitch, I appreciate your sentiments but I have to tell you I really don't care where it's made. I care about quality. To date China has been heavily focused on price, and it has been a successful strategy for them. However they will catch up in quality eventually, just as Japan and Korea have done.

The point is to not assume anything about quality, regardless of source, be that source a country or a hot rod shop or an aircraft supply house.

The question is, which one does Van's sell? That's the one I have and if is the Chinese version I would like to get a Parker. Do you have the Parker part #?

Last edited:
Quality of parts

Wow, Dan, what a great thought-provoking and very professional post!

Many years ago we had a problem when suppliers had sold fasteners to the Space Shuttle program that were suspect because they were supplied with false documentation about the sources and required testing. That took a lot of extra work to weed out the bad from the good. We probably never did get all the counterfeit fasteners out of the system, but we satisfied ourselves that the fasteners in critical places were either correct or replaced.

Thanks for prompting us to take a deeper look at the parts we put into our RV's.

Like Dan says, red, white or blue don' matter. Quality counts. Although I do like USA made for nostalgia reasons. Reminds me of when companies cared more about product than marketing. Tony, just look at your fitting & see how it makes you feel. Form follows function.

The question is, which one does Van's sell? That's the one I have and if is the Chinese version I would like to get a Parker. Do you have the Parker part #?

Boring afternoon.

The Vans catalog fitting photo doesn't seem to match the import fitting. Of course neither does the Aircraft Spruce photo...and look what I got.

The certified Lycoming fitting is apparently a #72377. I don't know who makes it for Lycoming, but suspect Weatherhead.

Eaton owns both the Aeroquip and Weatherhead lines. Here is the Weatherhead catalog (see page 306). Note two available syles, one-piece forged (C) and two-piece brazed (TF). I have no idea if one is better than the other (but you can buy either at Fastenal):

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/W-HYOV-MC002-E2_Adapters_and_Hose_Ends_110-367.pdf

An Aeroquip hydraulic appears to be a 2062-6-6S (page 256). The drawing shows a rather small o-ring nut:

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/A-HOOV-MC001-E1_196-293_Adapters_LR.pdf

A Parker is 6-C50X-S (or SS for stainless):

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...nextfmt=EN&vgnextcatid=2638914&vgnextcat=C5OX STRAIGHT THREAD ELBOW STEEL&vgnextdiv=687620&vgnextpartno=6 C5OX-S&Wtky=ADAPTERS

good job Dan

Good job Dan. Be advised--alot of domestic manufacturers are importing products without country designations; "china" markings. Now some domestic companies are taking domestic steel and shipping it to Korea for machining to US specs, and shipping it back, and believe it or not for less, than it would cost to produce it domestically. Given enough volume, you, me, Van's, Spruce, or any one else can have fittings made to what every spec we want, and ridiculously low prices, but with a 14 week lead time. I'm certain that some manufacturers are taking advantage of that.

Really cool pics of the magnified threads on the fitting. I'm sure that alot of guys are now looking more closely at what is going on.
Again----Great job!
Tom

OTE=Neal@F14;433861]Even China's own air force isn't exactly too thrilled lately with the quality of their newest aviation technology.

http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=257074

And how 'bout that Cessna Skycatcher? :([/QUOTE]

seal

...and don't forget the o-ring. There's a pretty good chance that the elastomer on the Parker fitting matches what Parker's catalog says it is. In this case, probably 90 durometer nitrile, the standard compound supplied by Parker for that class of fittings according to my Parker catalog. Presumably the same in the case of the Chinese fitting, but likely more difficult to verify.