n5lp

fugio ergo sum
I had a vague idea of FlightAware and most people might say "well duh" but I just ran onto this when I did a Google search on my N number. It never really occurred to me that you can look back on flight data, not only if you are IFR, but if you just have flight following.

Not only was there a picture of my airplane on the site, taken, I have no idea where but there was the data on my flight back from LOE the other day.

FlightTrac.jpg

Really a lot of speed variation and course variation. In addition to avoiding restricted areas, I must have taken in some scenery. I can see learning things from this, like, of course, the mach number.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N441LP/history/20091010/2142Z/KELP/KCNM/tracklog

48a1058b7998e6c900e8408ad31edc366bb95004

Photo from the site

Last edited:
Mikey's picture is on there as well - it looks like it was taken when he was tied down temporarily at KLVJ when Louise was in the process of moving down here. My guess is that people go out and shoot pictures of every airplane they see and then FlightAware reads the N-Number and attach's them to the file. Sort of like train spotting?

Paul

Check out the Google Earth link....

Larry,

You can also now download a Google Earth KML file off of your FlightAware Flight Tracking Results. Look right next to the 'Track Log' link. If you save that to your computer, and then launch Google Earth, you get a line representing the flight track and altitudes. Here is a view of a couple of recent flights that I picked up flight following on:

DropBox

My guess is that people go out and shoot pictures of every airplane they see and then FlightAware reads the N-Number and attach's them to the file. Sort of like train spotting?

I don't doubt it, Paul. I had the chance to do a bit of flying in Europe a few years back, and was amazed to see all the enthusiasts perched outside the airport fence with camera and notebook in tow... especially in the UK. Just like trainspotting indeed! Guess that hobby has spread to these shores as well. A reason not to put on 12" N-numbers I guess? :)

mcb

I had the chance to do a bit of flying in Europe a few years back, and was amazed to see all the enthusiasts perched outside the airport fence with camera and notebook in tow... especially in the UK. Just like trainspotting indeed! Guess that hobby has spread to these shores as well. A reason not to put on 12" N-numbers I guess?

Type in your N-number into Google search and you can find lots of places that have pictures and have copies of the FAA registrations. Here are just a few I get with mine.

flightaware.com

airport-data.com

aircraftone.com

I do not understand why aircraft and pilot records are public. Cars, drivers licences, house ownership records are not search able on the internet. Can anybody explain why?

Type in your N-number into Google search and you can find lots of places that have pictures and have copies of the FAA registrations. Here are just a few I get with mine.

flightaware.com

airport-data.com

aircraftone.com

I do not understand why aircraft and pilot records are public. Cars, drivers licences, house ownership records are not search able on the internet. Can anybody explain why?

house and real property records are public info in oregon. all the info on taxes, purchase price, years owned, permits for construction/ remodel, it is all on there. http://www.deschutes.org/index.cfm?objectId=836F545E-BDBD-57C1-91EC7EC87DBBD7EA