crabandy

Well Known Member
I just pulled my MA4-5 out of the box, has a "yellow tag" stating overhauled per facet (precision) service manual 7-1-09. Just looking over it, the throttle lever "sticks" in both directions with the butterfly about 1/3 open as well as closing the last 1/16th. I found some overhaul manuals online to look over, Is it time for me to go to Marvel Schebler school? Maybe just slide out the throttle lever/rod and Sand/ ream / lube? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Andy

How "sticky?"

What is sticky to one person may be regarded as OK to another. Remember, ther is significant leverage in the throttle system, and you may not even notice it once its hooked up. The accelerator pump will create a fair amount of resistance prior to having fuel through it, and may be what you are actually feeling. I have re-built many, and they should be a little tight after the rebuild..mostly due to the accelerator pump...get another opinion before you think about doing any re-work.

Thanks Bill, very well could be the accelerator pump I've only rebuilt automotive/motorcycle carbs before. I'll get an A&P to look it over.

Another question for anyone, the flange holding the Bowl Vent Strainer Screen Housing is warped. Should I
a. Leave it alone
b. remove, hammer flat and reinstall
c. remove, turn inside-out and reinstall
d. order a new flange

247AF1BA-B8AA-445E-80FB-14C0F8C4B1C9-3415-0000020F5AD336BA.jpg

37419FA2-8C5F-4077-94C7-A32F934B52FE-3415-0000020F4B3872A1.jpg

Last edited: