Billythekid

Well Known Member
i got my ppl in a grumman lynx aa-1-c. does anyone have experience in this type of plan and how its like a rv6, i get the rv climbs crazy like, but i have seen the two types of planes kinda side by side and yes they are different but both have short wing span. i do miss the grumman as someone crashed it. building a 6 and have never been in one....yet.

AA-1B

I flew a hot-rodded 150hp AA-1B while I was building my 9A.

The ground handling is about the same.
The RV flies faster and farther.
The RV lands slower.

There are more Grumman Yankee refugees here in the RV world than anyplace else - going from an AA1-X to an RV is a natural progression, and you'll never look back. I had my 160HP AA-1B for over twenty years and had done every STC you could think of - it was as much homebuilt as certified. Loved that airplane, never thought I'd part with it. The day I did the first flight in my RV-8, I went home and put the Grumman up for sale, and it was gone in a week.

I had a Grumman AA1B for a few years while I was building my RV6.
They are remarkably similar, except the power and tail wheel.
The wing span is the same and visibility is comparable. Pitch and roll control is also pretty close.
If you have TW time and AA1C time the RV6 should be a no brainer for you.
Good luck and have fun!

Not sure how comfortable I would be regularly flying a Yankee out of my 1500' strip.

mel

hey mel, got my close quarter dimple set. experimenting on scrap at this posting. was thinking of finding a bolt and nut that could do the job instead of a nail of copper then steel. im speaking of the 3/32 set. i was thinking if i used a nut and bolt system i could use the inch lbs torque wrench to get consistent craftsmanship. what say you

Not sure how comfortable I would be regularly flying a Yankee out of my 1500' strip.

I'd never give it a second thought if it had the 160 HP conversion Mel. With the original O-235? You'd end up in a train car.......:eek:

I'd never give it a second thought if it had the 160 HP conversion Mel. With the original O-235? You'd end up in a train car.......:eek:

Yeah, I've got quite a bit of time in Yankees. Not nearly as much as you, of course. I was talking about the original O-235.

For take-off distances, I put the Yankee just behind my old Swift GC-1B.

Last edited: