timheavers

I'm New Here
I live at 6000 ft elevation and need to fly over the rockies frequently. I found a great RV that I like but it has a Lycoming 320 engine. Does anyone have experience with high altitude flying with the smaller 320 engine. I'm ready to purchase. Thanks / Tim

I have a 320 Constant Speed Prop RV-6. I have over 3,100 during the past 18.5-years. Have been as high as 17,700 and was still climbing at 100 FPM and 100 KIAS. Been to Leadville. Flying by yourself (single ship) the 320 powers the RV aircraft ok. The 360 is better value. The pounds of fuel per horsepower produced is slightly lower if you do not use the extra horsepower.

When building with a new engine from Van's, the extra horsepower is worth the slight increase in price. The 360 engined RV bring the most money on the used market.

0320 does ok

I fly my o320 fp rv4 over the Rockies and it does ok..

If you want to go above 13.5 the extra hp would be nice but not really required

Cm

which model is best???

Well Tim, your profile says you are interested in a 6.....

here's my opinion............

It can be argued that the -9, with the longer wing will get off the ground and climb a bit better than a similarly equipped 6.

if you do use an 0-320, they can be made to produce more power with the high compression pistons, but really, to get off the ground from 6,000', I think you'll want a constant speed prop, so you can wake up all 150 horses, and turn some decent rpm at take-off.

As many have and will say, you can't beat another 30 hp at that altitude, so the 0360 or even one of the new XP-400's will really make your day!!!

(Some smarter and better-lookin' experts will no doubt be along shortly to tell me I'm all wet!)

Well Tim, your profile says you are interested in a 6.....

here's my opinion............

It can be argued that the -9, with the longer wing will get off the ground and climb a bit better than a similarly equipped 6.

if you do use an 0-320, they can be made to produce more power with the high compression pistons, but really, to get off the ground from 6,000', I think you'll want a constant speed prop, so you can wake up all 150 horses, and turn some decent rpm at take-off.

As many have and will say, you can't beat another 30 hp at that altitude, so the 0360 or even one of the new XP-400's will really make your day!!!

(Some smarter and better-lookin' experts will no doubt be along shortly to tell me I'm all wet!)

As FlyBoy1963 said, the -9(A) is a good choice. It will fly just as fast as the -6(A) will on the same horsepower but it can fly slower. The only thing the -6(A) can do that the -9(A) cannot do is +6 Gs instead of the +4.4 G of the -9(A).