Phil

Well Known Member
I'm probably within 6-8 months of needing to get my engine in house and I'm wondering if it makes sense to go ahead and purchase the engine before Lycoming's annual price increase on Jan 1.

Have any of you tracked their increases over the past few years to determine what percentage is typical?

Thanks,
Phil

I'm probably within 6-8 months of needing to get my engine in house and I'm wondering if it makes sense to go ahead and purchase the engine before Lycoming's annual price increase on Jan 1.

Have any of you tracked their increases over the past few years to determine what percentage is typical?

Thanks,
Phil

Unfortunately, you may not have any control at the moment. I ordered my engine in September and it's being shipped on 11/16. Their price date has always been based on their ship date, not order date.

Drop me a reminder via email over the weekend and I can forward you the email for the contacts at Lycoming to ask the question directly. My experience with my order is that Van's didn't have a good handle on engine delivery dates.

After talking to the nice folks at Vans tent at Oshkosh 2009, I ordered their engine/prop combo and saved $1000. That was in August 2009. They also had an Oshkosh savings of a few hundred dollars along with the combo savings. I wasn't sure exactly when I would need the engine, but I knew it was coming up and wanted to avoid any price increase that may come in 2010. When I placed the order, I think they said is would take from 60 to 90 days to deliver. My engine arrived on October 27, 2009 - the day after my daughter was born - two exciting deliveries! A busy week to be sure! That was only about 9 weeks. It came on the early end of the expected delivery window.

The 2010 rate increase never came. If I had waited until April 2010 to order my engine/prop combo at Sun-n-fun, I would have save yet another $500! Who could guess!

I did not mount the engine until June 2010, so I could have waited to buy it at Sun 'n Fun but like I said, how would I have guessed it would have been cheaper. Also, I may have had to wait longer than before for delivery and missed my June install date. Even though it sat in the box for eight months [I was busy playing proud new daddy], it was there whenever I was ready to hang it.

So, is a price increase a certainty for 2011? Unless you have some inside information, who knows - a SWAG at best!

Can't wait to see Vans offerings at Sun 'n Fun 2011!