tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Ok, I'm definitely not clear on this and can't find any directions or installation instructions. As far as I can tell, the Precision Airmotive fuel injection servo (Ex-5va1) attaches to the bottom of the engine sump where there is presently a 4 bolt plug.
If I'm understanding correctly, Van's VA-182 cable control bracket goes between the servo and the sump.

Questions:
1. Does the Lycoming sump (bottom of engine) have separate chambers in it for oil and for airflow?

2. The engine has preservative oil in it. If I undo the plug, the preservative oil is coming out. Logically, this will happen sooner or later when I install servo. Do I just let it drain out and then attach servo.
(Big assumption here is that air flows through servo, into sump and then up to cylinders-please confirm that assumption is correct).

2. I only have one gasket that came with the VA-182. Shouldn't the servo itself also have a gasket to preclude air leaks?

Thanks for any guidance. I've already done the SB gasket switch and realize I can call Precision Airmotive on Monday but it's really driving me nuts figuring out whether to leave the preservation oil in or get on with install.

Thanks in advance,
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL

Ok, I'm definitely not clear on this and can't find any directions or installation instructions. As far as I can tell, the Precision Airmotive fuel injection servo (Ex-5va1) attaches to the bottom of the engine sump where there is presently a 4 bolt plug.
If I'm understanding correctly, Van's VA-182 cable control bracket goes between the servo and the sump.

Correct.

Questions:
1. Does the Lycoming sump (bottom of engine) have separate chambers in it for oil and for airflow?

Yes, they are separate.

2. The engine has preservative oil in it. If I undo the plug, the preservative oil is coming out. Logically, this will happen sooner or later when I install servo. Do I just let it drain out and then attach servo.

Does not compute--------are you saying there is a plug (about 2 3/4") in the hole where the servo goes?? If so, just remove it---there shouldnt be any oil there, it is only a dust cover.

(Big assumption here is that air flows through servo, into sump and then up to cylinders-please confirm that assumption is correct).

That is correct, the air passages are inside the sump, but totally seperated from the oil. This allows carbed engines to keep the fuel in suspension better.
Fuel injection doesnt need the heat, which is why the cold air induction sumps exist---they give a little better power.

2. I only have one gasket that came with the VA-182. Shouldn't the servo itself also have a gasket to preclude air leaks?

Yes, there should be a gasket on both sides of the steel bracket.

Thanks for any guidance. I've already done the SB gasket switch and realize I can call Precision Airmotive on Monday but it's really driving me nuts figuring out whether to leave the preservation oil in or get on with install.

Thanks in advance,
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL

A word of advise for you. You will probably be taking things off and putting them back on a few times-----dont use either the gaskets, or the locking washers or nuts, until the final assembly.

Mike,
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Yes, when I removed the "dust cover" (approx. 2" square where the fuel servo attaches) from the bottom of the sump, oil started coming out. Not a gusher, but a pretty steady flow. I put the dust cover back on after about 5 tablespoons came out. I'm assuming this is preservative oil and just wasn't sure how much engine protection I was giving up.
Tom

That is a new one on me---

Mike,
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Yes, when I removed the "dust cover" (approx. 2" square where the fuel servo attaches) from the bottom of the sump, oil started coming out. Not a gusher, but a pretty steady flow. I put the dust cover back on after about 5 tablespoons came out. I'm assuming this is preservative oil and just wasn't sure how much engine protection I was giving up.
Tom

Could be from an open intake valve, when the oiled the cylinder----????

Best to check with the folks who worked on it.