rv767

Friend
Thinking about the XIO-360-A1B6 200 h.p. Lycoming that Vans sells for my RV-7. Has anyone out there had any experience with this engine? Seems to be a good price ($30.7K) especially with the prop/engine discount that would essentially make a brand new Lycoming angle valve-roller cam engine cost $29.7K. What do you think?

200 HP is fun

Thinking about the XIO-360-A1B6 200 h.p. Lycoming that Vans sells for my RV-7. Has anyone out there had any experience with this engine? Seems to be a good price ($30.7K) especially with the prop/engine discount that would essentially make a brand new Lycoming angle valve-roller cam engine cost $29.7K. What do you think?

It is essentially the same engine I have, which is a lycoming IO-360-AIB6 (certified). You get the newer roller cam goodies and some other stuff.
I paid around $19K for mine, used with 800 hours on it. That included all accessories (bendix mags, starter, alternator, fuel pump, vacuum pump and an inverted oil system).

On my 7(a), I routinely broke ground in 200-300 ft (single pilot) and never more that 500-700 ft (gross weight). This is at around 600 MSL on my home strip.

You pay a bit of a weight penalty and the cowling/baffling/firewall forward stuff is a bit more involved. The engine is larger and heavier than the standard parallel valve and takes up more space under the cowl, especially at the front.

Still, with a constant speed prop, it is hard to beat those 200+ horses.
Just MHO, YMMV.

I think some guy named dan checkoway has this engine on his -7. Hey, maybe he has a website! : )

erich

If you can wait until April, Van's might have another Sun n Fun special. You can save quite a bit on both the engine (free shipping) and prop. If they do it again this year.

I think some guy named dan checkoway has this engine on his -7. Hey, maybe he has a website! : )

erich

I'm very familiar with Dan's web site, he and others have made this project of mine much easier and fun. He bought a rebuilt engine from Aero Sport Power with Airflow Performance fuel injection and Lightspeed Ign. . I was specifically interested in info on the new X Lycoming that Van is selling. Like on the roller tappets, the bendix injection, is it smooth running like the flow balanced engines people are getting from specialty engine shops etc.
Thanks,
Neal

For around the same money or probably less you can have Aerospot build you a really great engine.
Lycoming- 200hp, so so balance, maybe the cylinders are volume balanced maybe not. Looks like a big grey turd from the factory.
Aerosport- 200+hp, balanced to much higher tolerances than stock, flow ported with new cylinders of your choice, your choice of fuel injection and ignition systems. All that cromed and painted the color you want, looks like a work of art. Don

Let me tell you what, I've installed a couple of Lyc factory engines in the last couple years, and they are without a doubt, the smoothest running rebuilds I've ever seen. I've flown in Dan's airplane, and it's a fine engine no doubt, I really LIKE what Aerosport does, and I'd seriously consider one of their engines when the time comes. But Lycoming factory engines are durn nice if you ask me.

The last two I flew behind were a O-235 in a 152, and a IO-360-C1C (200hp Angle) which was without a question in my mind, smoother than Dan's aerosport, although I'm sure Dan's made more power with the Fwd facing and AFP injection.

One thing about new Lycomings, they look like a big gray turd from the factory. You'd think they could pretty them up just a bit. Don

Assuming the prices are competitive, don't forget to factor in who's going to take better care of you if you have a problem with the engine. Reputation for taking care of issues, post-delivery, really matters when $20-30K is being spent. That made my decision very easy. You can search the archives for the reputation part. Good luck.

x series lyco

I put a ton of time into this last year and have the following if it helps. Vans sunnfun deal with the prop combo was the best deal of the year by far. The osh deal was 500 to 1500 more. They include shipping, crate, starter etc. The factory lyco with roller tappets from vans is a great deal when on promo. Nobody from mattituck to aerosport could touch the deal. Add the free shipping/crating/tappets and the prop combo on and it was great.

If you are running the reno races i say build it up but if all the new factory planes for $200K get factory lyco's i dont believe most of us would really benefit from the extra work some of these other suppliers claim to do that add costs. Some one said good engine mounts (lords) will be money way better spent then all the aftermarket stuff. No idea. I just wish i had pulled the trigger last year before the dollar and markets both swung the wrong way. I could have had a brand new lyco io320 shipped for under $20K. That was a great deal. Now with the markets and dollar its just a pipe dream for awhile. Good luck.