bkc3921

Well Known Member
I'm one of the nameless rabble on the ECI cylinder recall..and as confession is good for the soul, I have come to the realization that I do not know nearly enough about engines...(I never wanted to be a mechanic anyway!)..I would like opinions from those who have attended the 4 day Lycoming Service School in Williamsport..Was the school valuable and worth the time and money?..I am starting to think it might be a good way to spend a week in this frigid weather! Previous students: What say you?

Roger Mell had been to the school, maybe he will give you a report if he sees this post. I have it on my bucket list.......

Last edited:
Not much response

Judging from the lack of response, it appears that not many have attended, I suppose..!!

Engine School

The guy that built my RV-6 attended both classes and HIGHLY recommended them both. Like myself, he has a background in engineering with that natural curiosity of how things work, plus...we're both "motorheads" and enjoy tinkering with just about anything mechanical. Isn't that why we have experi-MENTAL airplanes? :D

I've looked into attending the classes, but since I was "asked" to return to active duty, I have to wait until Uncle Sam is ready to let me return to normal life. :cool:

Cheers and good luck!

Jim Dobler is the guy who teaches the class and he's very sharp. But I do disagree with him on a few subjects....notably the whole LOP thing which Lycoming is still strongly against.

Backwards Lycoming

Hard to trust someone's judgement when they recommend settings that cause your engine to wear out sooner and burn more fuel -ie 50 ROP...

Hans

back to skool

.....I picked up the lyc manual.....
holy smokes, what a lot of stuff I didn't even dream of.
I imagine a class would give you a great sense of intuitive knowledge....such as when the oil pressure starts to drop.
........could be this, could be that, or if it's THIS..........time to land!

another for instance, ask someone if they clean/inspect the oil suction screen at oil changes,( or annuals.)
......72% will say...." the what???"

( by the way, I've learned more here than anywhere else!)

I'm one of the nameless rabble on the ECI cylinder recall..and as confession is good for the soul, I have come to the realization that I do not know nearly enough about engines...(I never wanted to be a mechanic anyway!)..I would like opinions from those who have attended the 4 day Lycoming Service School in Williamsport..Was the school valuable and worth the time and money?..I am starting to think it might be a good way to spend a week in this frigid weather! Previous students: What say you?

David-Aviator suggested I respond to your post. Pete Field, retired Marine Col, and F-18 test pilot and I attended the course about a year ago and we both enjoyed it agreat deal and felt is was well worth while. Pete had a good bit of background experience, and I had virtually none, but we both thought it was a great program well worth our time and money.
Roger Mell