Aggie78

Well Known Member
This is for the IO-360-M series engines.

I ordered the replacement stick, lined them up and took a photo to share the differences between the two. The newer stick is the upper one.

Observation: While not a show-stopper at 6 or 8 quarts, there is a pretty dramatic spread between what the old gauge called 4 quarts and what the new one does...not that I'd want to be operating down that low.

The old gauge's 4 qts vs the new one looks to be nearer to a 3 qt level....

20160623_131917.jpg

Oil Stick

What configuration was the latest and greatest Lyc dipstick calibrated for nose wheel or taildragger?? It would appear to be much more logical to drain the oil and recalibrate and if necessary remark the dipstick while adding oil 2 quarts at a time. A new dipstick rod can be installed in the old cap at a cost of just a few dollars.

What configuration was the latest and greatest Lyc dipstick calibrated for nose wheel or taildragger?? It would appear to be much more logical to drain the oil and recalibrate and if necessary remark the dipstick while adding oil 2 quarts at a time. A new dipstick rod can be installed in the old cap at a cost of just a few dollars.

Obviously, the dipsticks aren't calibrated for nose or tailwheel aircraft. That doesn't mean you can't make a note of the level location and keep using what you have. While the SB has "Mandatory" in big red letters, most/all SB's are optional in Part 91...especially in the experimental world.

Lycoming is replacing the dipsticks as a warranty item. I bought the new one, and just took the old one into the local Lycoming rep to send back for a full credit, including shipping.

Out of pocket will just be a little gas money, hopefully.

I put the info out there for the guys who fly around with an oil level of 5 or lower....just to note that with the old stick...when they get to 4 qts...that it is more like 3, if they're going off of what the gauge is telling them.

I got a call from our FBO that my deepstick is here so I will be picking it up tonight and interested to see what different oil level I get. Based on the above pix, it seems I typically had more oil than needed.

I got a call from our FBO that my deepstick is here so I will be picking it up tonight and interested to see what different oil level I get. Based on the above pix, it seems I typically had more oil than needed.

I live way out in the boonies and need to get my new dip stick and return the old one for credit via an internet vendor. Has anyone been able to do this? Thanks.

-John

I live way out in the boonies and need to get my new dip stick and return the old one for credit via an internet vendor. Has anyone been able to do this? Thanks.

-John

You will have to go thru an authorized dealer or FBO. Placerville aviation at KPVF helped out with this. Call Avial and they will check to see which reseller is closes to you.

-John

Just a quick note for those who need to get a replacement stick and live far away from any dealer: Aero Performance Central (https://www.aeroperformance.com/locations.html; 800.458.1535) handled the order over the phone via credit card. The only hitch is that I have to pay for the items and get a credit when I return the old stick and O ring. I'm not sure who is paying for the shipping.

-John

Just a quick note for those who need to get a replacement stick and live far away from any dealer: Aero Performance Central (https://www.aeroperformance.com/locations.html; 800.458.1535) handled the order over the phone via credit card. The only hitch is that I have to pay for the items and get a credit when I return the old stick and O ring. I'm not sure who is paying for the shipping.

-John

Thanks for the information, John being in the boonies, I called Lycoming and they gave me some places to call. Avial (Chicago) was one of two recommended as they are close. One question, though. Since I am not flying, and I see you have a tail dragger, did you check either dipstick for accuracy parked on level ground? I still wonder if it is worth the trouble to comply.
Thanks,

Thanks for the information, John being in the boonies, I called Lycoming and they gave me some places to call. Avial (Chicago) was one of two recommended as they are close. One question, though. Since I am not flying, and I see you have a tail dragger, did you check either dipstick for accuracy parked on level ground? I still wonder if it is worth the trouble to comply.
Thanks,

I did not. On all my oil changes I put in 6 qts, and the level is accurate. I did not try it at 4 qts. as it takes a day or two for the oil level to settle. My technique is to burn down to 5 quarts and then add a quart. I think this bulletin tells me that my oil consumption isn't quite what I had been measuring as I probably was down to 4.5 quarts when the level was half way between 6 and 4 quarts on the old stick.

IMO, although not legally required, given the low cost (i.e. possible shipping one way) I think it's the smart move. I would be hesitant to sell an aircraft with a defective oil level measuring system, if for no other reason than liability if the new owner didn't understand the workaround and trashed the engine.

-John