gp456

anybody know if a 0-320 out of a piper apache is a narrow or wide deck engine, and if cylinders will fit a0-320 e3d (out of a 150 cheroke now on a rv-6) Thanks gary.

An E3D should have wide deck cylinders fitted. You'll have to post the letters of the engine in the Apache to be certain, but I suspect they are narrow deck, based on its age.

Pete

gp456 said:
anybody know if a 0-320 out of a piper apache is a narrow or wide deck engine, and if cylinders will fit a0-320 e3d (out of a 150 cheroke now on a rv-6) Thanks gary.

Best way is to go look.

Narrow deck (or so called Standard Deck) engines use Allen head NUTS to hold the cylinders on. The newer WIDE deck engines have HEX NUTS holding the cylinders on.

If the cylinders are off the engines, I would know by looking but cannot describe it in text. The narrow deck cylinders do not have a lot of metal at the BASE of the cylinders. They use a DOUBLER to make up for the thinner metal mounting base.

RV6_flyer said:
Best way is to go look.

The narrow deck cylinders do not have a lot of metal at the BASE of the cylinders. They use a DOUBLER to make up for the thinner metal mounting base.

FYI.. I have seen this on a narrow deck O-360 but my narrow deck O-320 does NOT have these Doublers...

Not all narrow decks have the doubler. But chances are that the Apache is a narrow deck , and the E3D is not. Therefore chances are good that this will not work.

The way to check is to see if the part number of the case halves of the engine is appended with an A after the end. The A indicates a Wide deck engine. No alpha at the end indicates narrow deck. Also the engine serial number should have an A on the end as well.

N162RV said:
FYI.. I have seen this on a narrow deck O-360 but my narrow deck O-320 does NOT have these Doublers...

They are ON my narrow deck O-320 160 HP and were when I removed it from a 1961 Tri-Pacer. I have seen some of the older O-320s that did not have them. I do not have all of my reference material at home to look this up. I thought that there was a requirment for them but cannot find it.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/sup...cations/servicePubsIndex/servicePubsIndex.pdf

S.I. 1228A Cylinder Hold-Down Plates, Modification of

5,100 TT Engine since new
1,932.8 since overhaul to new spec

Maybe someone that works on engines all the time can point us to the document that put them on.

Low compression 150 HP narrow deck 320 engines didn't have the plates but high compression 160 HP narrow deck 320 engines did.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

Apache O-320

I just looked at two Apache's yesterday and talked to the owner (A&P) about them. The engines are O-320-A1A version and narrow deck on these two birds. He has a core that I may buy for my 9A.

Paul Rose
9A 91300
Finishing Emp Starting Wings

Consider that while narrow deck engines are fine, new cylinders are a little bit harder to find, and a little bit more expensive sometimes... and that will only get worse as time goes on. The plus side is, the cores should be real cheap to buy.