Vlad

Well Known Member
Gentlemen, I am going to pick up my engine from the factory next week. Any suggestion how to secure it in the back of Chevy Silverado pick up? Anything to pay special attention? If somebody transported the box himself please share your experience. This thing for me is more than just two years savings... Loaded driving will be approximately 200 miles including some 15 degree slopes.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

How carefully do you think they're treated by the freightlines?

Those engines are crated very well. Just secure the crate and you'll be fine.

Good point

Thanks Mel, maybe I am worried too much. I've never transported anything that pricey :)

We picked up our Lycoming at the factory. Like Mel mentioned, it is well packaged and on a pallet. We had an Avalanche to bring it home. We also stopped at Piqua, OH and picked up our prop at Hartzell. A couple straps will be plenty and maybe a tarp, if it rains. Be sure and spend time and tour the factory. We got tours at both places. Very interesting.

Roberta

Thanks Roberta

Is box over the pallet out of paper or wood? I had a great opportunity to tour the factory in 2006 and it seems to me I saw nice cardboard boxes in shipping area.

The engine is bolted and strapped to the pallet and is covered with a very heavy cardboard box. All the accessories are tied down to the pallet under the cardboard box. The box is stapled to the pallet. The Lycoming website has some dimensions of the carton/pallet size. Our Avalanche was a little tight, but a pickup should be fine.

Roberta

engine crate fits great

My engine came from aerosport in a big wooden crate. The engine is secured to the pallet on bolted metal mounts. It weighs 400 pounds crated, and you'll have room to close your tailgate, so I don't think that is going anywhere ties or no.

My k5 doesn't have as long of a bed as a regular truck but it still fit (barely). The fun part was getting it off the truck, something I managed to do solo.

http://donka.net/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=rv7_engine&id=DSC00022

Don interesting solution to unload. Looks like you needed lots of muscles anyway.

Roberta how did you unload from your Avalanche? I have air-assisted engine hoist with 4' arm and 6' hook height. You think it would be enough?

Ordered IO 360 from Van's

I was extremely impressed with the package. The engine was encased in foam
blow completely around the engine. The box had cardboard wedges in the corners and was put on a pallet. You would have to severely abuse the box to
damage the engine.

Steve Anderson
Lafayette, La.

We had one of those hydraulic engine hoists (cherry picker?) and used it to lift the engine off the Avalanche. We removed the top of the carton and bolted a chain over the top and lifted the whole thing up and off.

Roberta

Spaseebo Roberta

Looks like I have all areas covered and ready to go with confidence. Will report the results.

Vlad,

I am picking up a Lycoming from BPE next week end and it should fit in the Honda Pilot nicely. Rhonda said the box is 47"X41"X36". If the lid is left off, it is 29" high. I've been to the Barrett shop and they use Lycoming boxes.

Is box over the pallet out of paper or wood? I had a great opportunity to tour the factory in 2006 and it seems to me I saw nice cardboard boxes in shipping area.
The heavy wood reinforced cardboard box cover shrouds a pallet made of oak to which the engine sump rests upon a conforming bed of high density foam. Using straps, cleats and screws, the engine is well secured to the pallet. Look closely at the picture and you will see that packaging alone accounts for something over a hundred pounds of shipped weight.

Last edited:
??????? ????? ? ???

Dave
Rick
I should probably rename the thread from "Lycoming Pick Up" to " Complete Guide to Engine Pick Up" . Thank you gentlemen!

Last edited:
Lycoming in your Pick Up

I should probably rename the thread from "Lycoming Pick Up" to " Complete Guide to Engine Pick Up" . Thank you gentlemen!

It's just me but the Lycoming Pick Up made me think someone put a IO 360 in their truck.

Doable but probably not too practical.

S S Anderson__________________

Good laugh!

Steve this was the good one! Even translated into Russian the pun intended plane funny!

Fat Albert: Bill Cosby

Bill Cosby definitely has the sound effects down pat. I haven't listened to BC in a long time, I remember when we use to sit around and listen to his records of his stand up. Seems like a billion years ago.

S S Anderson
Lafayette, La.

Stuck in Stroudsburg PA

Well guys everything went too well today.Too well is not too good. Headed to Lycoming factory early morning got nice tour, loaded and secured the box in my friend's pickup and headed home. In half way truck threw a valve... Barely made it to closest town (Stroudsburg PA) and were lucky to locate Chevy dealer, motor still running with really bad noise. Mechanics looked inside - valve spring broken compression low. Tomorrow morning they will inspect the piston...
Well got Howard Johnson Hotel room funny feeling if somebody around come I will buy you a drink... or two... I am on vacation anyway...

Keep a guard on your engine. My insurance agent told me a story of two gents who were transporting an engine. These fellows stopped at a burger joint for lunch and the engine was stolen while they enjoyed their burgers...talk about an expensive lunch!

Engine safely home

It took 36 hours and 580 bucks (valve in the truck replaced) to drive 195 miles FROM the factory to New Jersey. It took only about 4 hours to get TO the factory gate. Kind of on high side of expenses but it's engine, everybody pays a lot:) I am very happy.

It took 36 hours and 580 bucks (valve in the truck replaced) to drive 195 miles FROM the factory to New Jersey. It took only about 4 hours to get TO the factory gate. Kind of on high side of expenses but it's engine, everybody pays a lot:) I am very happy.

Hey Vlad, it's time to get to work.

I hung mine last Sunday. The drive from Tulsa (450 miles) went well without a break down. The engine was in the back of the Honda Pilot without the cardboard box, just on the pallet. It is so light I can lift the nose with one hand at the prop flange, but there's some stuff to be added yet like starter, alternator, exhaust, extension and prop.

Took 3 days to make a mixture/throttle bracket that passed muster. Its on to the oil cooler today.

Got to get this thing up and running....and flying again. :)

Thanks Dave

I had an opportunity to drive something smaller but the box is oversized for smaller car. They seal and pack it so well using expandable foam, plastic and funny looking paper packaging looks like cotton. Even if the box takes a hit or sinks it still will be intact. It's vacuum inside the heavy duty plastic.
Planning to hang it withing two weeks.