Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Calling all engine gurus...

For Ly-Clones I know cyl base wrenches and ring compressors are needed but what other special tools are needed other than the usual ones in an RV builder's toolbox such as torque wrenches, micrometers and such?

I know many of you have attended build classes and am wondering what tools you noted that did not already exist in your collections?

Thanx,

Just thinking off the top of my head: Engine stand. Good set of mics from 0-6" (mine are Mitutoyo's.) You'll need a set of telescoping bore gauges for checking your main bearing clearances. .040 safety wire and a good set of pliers for the magneto idler shafts and the case nuts in the sump. A swivel socket works great for tightening the case bolt behind the cam. I have a socket I turned down on a lathe for torquing the rod bolts (bottoms of the rod nuts are radiused to clear the radius on the rods.) Torque wrench in foot-pounds for tightening thru bolts and cylinders. Torque wrench in inch pounds for crankshaft bolt. Go/no-go gauge for checking dry tappet clearance. I have a ring gap filing tool that I've never had to use. I check the cylinder bore diameter and have a bore gauge that I set with 6" mic, but T-gauges and mics will work as well. Spring compressor if you have to futz with the valves. Supplies: Red RTV for sealing ends of the accy. case gaskets. POB #4 if using silk thread or the Loctite product for case halves. Food-grade antiseize for rod bolts and on the inside of the rod bearings. Moly engine assembly lube for cam lobes, pushrod ends, and rockers. STP/XC 50/50 mix squirt bottle for assembling everything else. I rub all gaskets both sides with medium Titeseal---never, ever, ever I repeat ever put a gasket on dry if you don't want to draw the ire of this mechanic.

A Case splitting unit...

...may be needed to separate case halves. Can be rented from Lycoming thru their dealers.

Looks like 2 heavy 1" steel plates with holes in them. Used to separate and join cases.

Comes with assorted thru bolt extensions and nuts.

Information!

Calling all engine gurus...

For Ly-Clones I know cyl base wrenches and ring compressors are needed but what other special tools are needed other than the usual ones in an RV builder's toolbox such as torque wrenches, micrometers and such?

I know many of you have attended build classes and am wondering what tools you noted that did not already exist in your collections?

Thanx,

Jerry,
I would say that THE most important tool to have is information! You will need ALL the Service Bulletins, Service Instructions, Service Letters and Supplemental Service Publications which relate to your engine. Having the overhaul manual barely scratches the surface. There are many places in the overhaul manual where you will be directed to read a particular tech document to accomplish a task. Some of the most popular SBs, SIs, SLs and SSPs are available online, but many are not. Read the overhaul manual and jot down what other documents you will need to do the job. SSP 208 is a good place to start. It lists all the tech documents which are "current".
You will also want a parts catalog for your particular engine.
Charlie Kuss

...may be needed to separate case halves. Can be rented from Lycoming thru their dealers.

Looks like 2 heavy 1" steel plates with holes in them. Used to separate and join cases.

Comes with assorted thru bolt extensions and nuts.

I knock the thru bolts out with a tool I made, which is just a piece of round stock that threads onto the studs. In fact I do not put the engine together initially with the studs in place. I check the fit of the studs beforehand, but remove them. This makes it a whole heck of a lot easier disassemble the engine and put it back together all moving parts in place.

Last edited:
SUPERVISION!

How about a supervisor? Even an A&P cannot legally overhaul an engine unless he has done at least one of the same model in the past under the supervision of another qualified A&P.
While this may not be a "requirement" for an experimental engine, it is certainly prudent.

Last edited: