Clouddancer

Well Known Member
I wondered if anybody ever operated a Lycoming engine without using the engine's mechanical fuel pump, only using electrical fuel pumps? I know this sounds odd to most of us...

The idea comes from my own requirement to use Mogas. Therefore I'm looking to get rid of all points in the system that might cause the fuel to evaporate. The mechanical fuel pump is the highest point in the fuel system and gets a good part of the heat, especially if the engine is shut down. If the mechanical fuel pump could be omitted, also the fuel lines could be run much more directly.

As I said, this is only an idea. But I'm interested to hear your opinions or even your experiences.

A member of this forum does just that. He has two electric pumps, one in each wing root. Try "search" for elec. fuel pump/ wingroot/ etc. and you'll most likely get all the info you need.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Thanks alot for your hints! I was not aware that the thread was discussed previously. Found alot of pros/cons and I even retrieved the pictures of Frankh's installation.