JetMech72

Does anyone have the procedure for changing the oil on a Lycoming? I have a 5 minute sample presentation I need to give and it seemed like a good, simple topic. I tried the Lycoming site but I can't access that info, only SBs and such.
Thanks.

Hi Erik..

...pretty basic, actually.

I prefer a hot engine and oil. After removing the lower cowl, slide a drain hose over the quick drain and place it in a bucket or something that will hold 6 quarts and push the drain valve up and rotate it to lock it.

Add more oil and you're done.

The best,

And if you removed the drain plug...

...reinstall, torque to proper value, and safety the plug.

Don't forget to mention that they should get a magnet on a stick (Not to be confused with a Jalape?o on a Stick.) and stir the oil. If the magnet comes up "fuzzy" they just had a really expensive oil change. If no metal was found, button it back up and go fly.

What about pulling the big sump plug at the same time? I don't on mine but many people do that at the same time.

Thanks guys. I assumed it would go something like that, similar to a car. Unfortunately I need a reference to say where I got the "manufacturer's procedure" from. Although VAF is my first resource, I don't think it will fly for them. Did anyone that bought a Lycoming get a manual that would have this procedure in it?

Erik

What about pulling the big sump plug at the same time? I don't on mine but many people do that at the same time.

You might consider pulling that sump plug and screen every now and then, just to keep it clean. I bought my engine used (1660 hrs from a flight school Geronimo Apache) and had it overhauled. The mechanic reassembling the engine mentioned that before bolting the sump back on, they checked the screen; apparently it had been neglected for quite some time... it was completely blocked with sludge and gunk. Ewww.

OK, I know it is cheating, but I change the filter every other oil change. I change at 30-35 hours and on the times where I don't change the filter, I use a vacuum bottle and suck the oil out. It leaves about one-half cup more than pulling the plug, and since I change fairly often, I can't see that hurting anything. That change takes less than 15 minutes, and is a "clean" operation. No cowl to pull (a bigger deal with a three-blade prop) and no oil on the exhaust. I can't get a quick drain to clear the exhaust pipe by enough to get a hose on it, so I have to pull the plug.

Bob Kelly

Does anyone have the procedure for changing the oil on a Lycoming? I have a 5 minute sample presentation I need to give and it seemed like a good, simple topic. I tried the Lycoming site but I can't access that info, only SBs and such.
Thanks.

Lycoming SB 480E and SI 1492 should have all the information you should need to give an accurate 5 minute presentation.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."