avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Getting ready to take the plunge and order the engine. I've been wavering between purchasing a new engine from Vans along with the prop to get the $1000 discount. Would LOVE to have a brand new Lycoming BUT...
I am also concerned about the 100LL situation and Aerosport power says their new O-320 engine can run on 91 octane.
So....
Looking for help to make this decision. There is NOT a great price difference so it is NOT a matter of money. I also like the extra year warranty that Aerosport power offers as opposed to Lycoming.
Has anyone run an Aerosport O-320 on 91 octane?
Input on purchasing the Lyc and hoping that 100LL stays around?
I've heard good things about the quality of Aerosport power engines-anyone have a bad experience with same?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter
9A-QB

Have you determined that you cannot run 91 octane on the Lycoming? Seems that is a function of piston compression so if both are 8.5:1 there may be no difference in that regard.

Lycoming can run on 91 octane

Lycoming is going to say not to run on anything except 100LL for one reason only. LIABILITY! They are not going to tell anyone their engines will run on anything else until there is absolutely no choice but to change and there have been enough tests done to satisfy the lawyers. Otherwise, technically speaking there is not going to be any difference between the two engines.

Lycoming is going to say not to run on anything except 100LL for one reason only. LIABILITY! They are not going to tell anyone their engines will run on anything else until there is absolutely no choice but to change and there have been enough tests done to satisfy the lawyers. Otherwise, technically speaking there is not going to be any difference between the two engines.

BUT... if it breaks in 6 months time and you're running 91, this gives them a way out. If Aerosport approves 91, then you get 3 years of warranty vs none, if the intention is to run 91 from the get-go.

BUT... if it breaks in 6 months time and you're running 91, this gives them a way out. If Aerosport approves 91, then you get 3 years of warranty vs none, if the intention is to run 91 from the get-go.
Agreed. But still my point. The issue has little if anything to do with the actual capability of the metal, seals, components or any actual parts of the engine not being able to use that fuel as much as it is the business side of selling engines.

Mines coming soon - from Aerosport

I went through many of the same questions and ordered an IO-360 from Bart at Aerosport. A big factor on the warranty is that the Aerosport warranty does not begin counting until you start the engine on the plane. This can be a huge factor if you are a slow builder. Aerosport also does a lot of balancing, polishing, and precision work in the building which will give you a smoother running and more powerful engine when you are done. At least that is the expectation. Since I have yet to receive mine, others will have to confirm these claims. You also have the option to do some mixing and matching of parts if you prefer a certain brand of cylinder, case, sump, etc. The last thing I found is that if you talk to Bart on the phone and ask a technical question about your engine or installation, you will receive an incredible amount of knowledge in a short time. Sort of like drinking from a firehose. Since he is not beholding to any particular company, he can give you good comparisons for a lot of different choices that you will have to make. I've never talked to a Lycoming person with anywhere close to the same knowledge of engines.

Randy

Bart told me I could run 91 octane mogas after breakin.

In discussions with Earl Lawrence, the technical guy at EAA who developed the autogas STC, he recommended going with the 160 hp engine vs. the 150 because you can't get ethanol free mogas in some states (Oregon in particular), but when (not if according to him) 100LL goes away, it will be replaced by something you can use, such as 91/96U/L or some other variation. There is already a spec for 91/96 U/L and it is available in Europe, but not here.

Gary Bricker

I bought my I0 360 from Aero Sport and even if the price was higher I would do it again. Customer service on a 20K + purchase is the reason to go with Bart. I saw how great he handled the cylinder recall from superior.

...Aerosport also does a lot of balancing, polishing, and precision work in the building which will give you a smoother running and more powerful engine when you are done. At least that is the expectation. Since I have yet to receive mine, others will have to confirm these claims...
I think Bart is willing to do just about anything the customer wants. He is as easy to work with as anyone I know. I am very happy with my Aerosport O-360.

That being said, I don't think balancing is a part of the standard engine and I never saw such a claim when I bought mine.

Last year I had an unusual airframe crack in the bracket where the engine mount attaches to the airframe (around 900 hours airframe and engine). Randy Richmond, the very experienced RV mechanic who fixed it was trying to figure out why. After the repair was done the Sensenich 72FM8 propeller was profiled and balanced, then the propeller was dynamically balanced. The balanced propeller needed a lot of weight to get the dynamic balance. Previously I had had a dynamic balance which also required a lot of weight and really didn't get the vibration down that low.

Randy discussed this with the prop shop and they said the reason was unbalanced component(s) in the engine.

The airplane has never seemed exceptional smooth, nor terribly rough, just sort of a normal airplane with some vibration. As for the structural crack, still don't know the reason for that, but with the beef-ups, I don't expect it to happen again.

Last edited:
Peter,

First let me tell you that Bart is FANTASTIC!!! Easy to work with and as said before, is willing to do anything for you.

Now to answer your question. My cousin has a 160hp, o-320 from Bart and runs auto fuel with no issues. Bart said to run avgas until break in then try auto stating that some engines will run auto, some will not (I think he was talking 160hp only) due to tolerences and such. FWIW my Uncle also runs the same auto gas in his 150hp Lyc (Long ez) with no issues.

On a side note, both my cousin and uncle filter the autogas using F15c filter funnel and are amazed at how much "****" they get out of the gas. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/mrfunnel.php

Hope that helps

Ryan