hlangebro

Well Known Member
I am in the process of buying an engine for my -7A. I was planning on a O-320-D1A, however I found a E2A that has been modified to a D3G. Is there something I should be aware of here? I am planning on using the Short James cowl and plenum. Is there a fit issue? A far as I can tell, they are pretty much the same...

Hakan

E2A

The E2A has the "good" two piece front main bearing as in D series. The E series engines had plain steel cylinders as opposed to nitride in the D series. If the conversion was for a certificated application the cylinders should be nitride or plated. Probably lots of homebuilts flying with 160 hp plus with the steel cylinders.
Dimensionally the E and D series are identical.

E2A

Investigate the Lycoming 505 service bulletin before spending money. Lots of non airworthy crankshafts in engines for homebuilts. I personally have no issue with this with a wood prop, wood composite or composite constant speed. The DAR who certifys your airplane may have a different opinion.

Engine

Just a thought.
My RV6 had a D3G with the hollow crank. You may know that the hollow crank is needed for an oil actuated C/S Prop such as the popular Hartzel. A big selling point down the road, even if you apply a fixed pitch the option is still there.

The D3G and the D1A should be identical except the D1A should have a prop governor drive and plumbing installed, as it was originally shipped as a constant speed engine and the D3G would have the provision to mount the prop governor drive and the plumbing however the parts would not normally be supplied with the engine as it was originally shipped as a fixed pitch engine. So if you made the D3G constant speed by adding the CS stuff they would then be the same.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Still pondering

Thanks a bunch guys. I guess the price is reasonble ($8300) and compression is 77-79 on all. My concern is the camshaft and lifters. The engine has basically laid around since april -10, not pickled. Granted, it is in Arizona. The engine was run in march -12 and according to the shop in ran well.