wrongway john

Well Known Member
A lot of talk is said of this type of cylinder on the VW aero forums and sites. My understanding is that all of the NASCAR people use the Nickel/Silicone Carbide process for their cylinders too. It?s said that these cylinders save weight, offer better cooling and more horsepower, and are supposed to hold up better. Is anyone using these cylinders on the Lycoming engines? I did various search engines on this site with various spellings, and only came across three places where it was just briefly mentioned. Hoping someone has the straight dope on this.

wj

They will be on my IO-320 that I recently ordered from Aerosport Power after discussing it with Bart. It seemed like a no-brainer to me based on several things, including corrision resistance. If I remember correctly, I was told that it would probably be a good idea for a plane that isn't flown regularly. What does "regularly" mean? To me it means less than about 100 or 150 hrs per year. I have no idea if I will meet or beat that, but if I don't, I'm covered.

I'm sure Bart or Sue could answer any questions you have.