jdeas

Well Known Member
I know I have seen this before but my search has turned out blank. I have been looking at a few midtime engines but without the magic decoder ring I really don't know what I am doing.

Can anyone give me some information on the specifics of an IO-360-C1D6?
Better yet, can you direct me to a link where I can check out different models without bothering this forum?

I am also wondering how most people go about purchasing a mid-time. I see several websites with engines in this class running from 'prop strike core' to $18,000. How does one go about purchasing a midtime while protecting themselfs from engines that turn out to be less than expected?

I can tell you how I approached my search.

There are quite a few resources, but first you need to ask yourself ;
1. What engine type you are looking for?
2. What is the price range I can spend?
3. How much work do I want to do or have done?

Then be ready to buy when you find the right deal and also not afraid to pass on something you have a doubt about.

I was open to either 180 hp IO-360 or an angle valve IO-360. I put my name on the Mooney Mod Works (200hp angle valves) list for used engine cores. I asked around my local EAA chapter ( a good source but did not find one in my price range). Contact an Air Salvage and keep in contact or put your name on a list. Six months after calling Mooney Mod Works called me back with a good engine core (IO-360A3B6D) with all accessories except prop gov for $6k. I took it apart and have all the parts overhauled, insp, and yellow tagged. I am ready to assemble and will have $12k in the engine (included ceramic coating) when it is ready to fire to life.

That's my story anyway.