dbuds2

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever used a Lycoming O-360-A1G6D in an RV-8? The info says this is a horizontal carb. Will that install like a typical horizontal intake with the "snorkel"? It also has a dual mag, any good/bad comments about this?

Dual mag is kinda a deal breaker for me, but you could set it up with a single mag and a EI (some research required to make that work). The other thing is the sump is horizontal induction, with the horizontal carb, which is pretty much a mx nightmare in the making. Right now they aren't too bad, but overhauls are getting pricey because of the limited quantitys of parts. Also I've found them to be troublesome setting up mixture and a pain to start without a dedecated primer system (3 or 4 point).

I'm not sure if the A1G6 is a rear mount or a front mount horizontal, I think it's a front mount out of an C172RG, but I can't be sure. Either way if you converted to Fuel Injection, it would solve and carb issues.

I bought a "mooney" dual mag engine. Seems like a bad idea at first glance, so I did some digging. Not very much of an issue as long as you have the
D3000 series mag. The D2000 is a clunker. The only issues have been that mentioned in the linked AD, washers are not a big deal.

I plan to start flying on the dual mag and then install a single mag and a lightspeed plasma later, I am a very low $$ operation.:)

Rest assured you have options to choose, so comfortable or not with the dual mag don't let that worry you if you came across a good deal.

Dual

This mag has had a lot of "bad press" in years gone by. Lately it has proven a lot more reliable. I've flown mine 2 years and 200hrs with absolutely no problems.

I do plan to convert to a single Bendix mag with either a Jeff Rose or Lightspeed Electronic Ignition soon. This is a "special needs" conversion and requires a lot of consideration after doing a lot of research. (Not a one size, fits all fix.)

If you do pick up this engine, do so at a considerable saving over other choices and PM me off line for some relevant info before buying.