txaviator

Well Known Member
OK everybody, I apologize in advance for the question that has been asked a million times already. However, I cannot find my link, nor could I readily find any earlier posts with this specific information. I am looking for my link which tells me specifically what each of the Lycoming letters and numbers stand for.

If you have a link to a reference, that would be great. Or, if you just know off the top of your head, could you describe the following (mount type, etc.):

O-320E2D

O-320H2AD

Also, I have a source for the two engines listed above. The O-320E2D has logs, has about 1700-hours TTSN, and is $5000. He guarantee's no prop strikes have occurred, he will make sure I have the correct accessory cover, etc.

The H2AD has no logs, looks like new (although he says it has about 1200 hours TTSN) no prop strike, and is only $3500.

Like I posted in an earlier thread a few months ago, this is a family friend- so I trust the seller. WHICH VERSION WOULD YOU CHOOSE, out of the two?

Thanks for the repetitive question. My apologies- I just want to reach out to this community and try to make an informed decision.

I'd go for the 0-320-E2D

Gary,
The E2D is known to be a bullet proof engine.
To me having logs is a big plus also.

The H2AD has a tainted history although I think they have corrected most of it's shortcomings.

The H2AD is rated at 160HP verses the 150HP of the E2D but you probably knew that.

Mark

Ditto, but I would get new

As misters Burns said, E2D. Its just the H2AD is an odd ball and needs some special coaxing to get it installed, plus the dubious history, especially if its a H2AD with a "T-mod". Ironically it has AD right in the name? :rolleyes:

Burns:
burnseh_small.gif
Excellent Smither's
smitherserr_small.gif

$5,000k for a E2D that is running WITH log books, ie known history? Hummm. To be worth it friend or not you need to have it in and fly at least 300 hours. Figure an overhaul is $12,000 divided by 2,000 hours or $6 an hour. So 300 hrs is about $1,600 worth of time. Minus that from the $5k you are at about $3,400 for a core. That is fair, not stealing it, but fair, if you can get 300 hours out of. Of course 300 hours of burning lots of oil and low compression (power) may not be a deal.

Lets say after you started flying, it was not super strong, needed an overhaul, Oh well. It was obvious, it was burning oil and had low compression. He did not know but that is the way it shook out. :( Now what?

So $5,000 + $12,000 = $17,000. What does a brand new no excuse (I)O-320 go for? About $19,500. So you are saving about $2,500 to $4,100, depending on if you get any flying out of it. Is that worth it. I would rather a new engine than an old one I have to now overhaul now or in 300 hours. In fact I would not pay $5000 for the engine, unless he is going to guarantee its good. Personally, the family friend thing is a negative. I think I'd rather keep a friend than risk some hard feelings if there is any problem. As a core to rebuild its worth about $3,500 IMHO. If he gaurentees good compression (70's), low oil use (no less than 8-10 hours/qt) and no metal in oil, great than its a deal. Chance is you will have to "work" to get some more life out of it. Lycs can go past 2000 hour TBO but ones sold used sitting on a tire are not the usual history of those engines that do go over TBO. First of all why is it for sale? :rolleyes:

An all new engine with warranty, is about $15,000 more than the used 1,700 hour engine..... I know its a lot of money if on a budget; the used engine could get you into the air sooner/cheaper, but you will be looking at a $12,000 rebuild in about 300-400 hours or 3 years any way. Pay now or pay later. So in 3 years after you overhaul it you will be into it for $17,000. Than you will have a used engine with +2,000 hours and say 20 years old (or more, find the log books).

What about just forking out the $19,500 now and having an engine you can fly for 20 years? Also the E2D is not perfect for the RV I recall (no mechanical fuel pump and only 150 HP I recall?) With a new engine you could get fuel injection and the c/s prop option. Even if you don't use the c/s prop option and just plug it. Its there for future upgrade. That has resale value if you do sell your RV with a 160 HP c/s prop capable engine is higher. Is $5,000 fair? If all the accessories are their, in good shape, airworthy, SB's, AD's all up to date than may be? I mean it is SAFE and you can get that 300 hours we THINK you might, may be, kind-a, sort-a should-a get.

To me NEW has peace of mind. What about a bank loan to finance the new engine? Also, with new you can wait, time it, to the very last minute to buy the engine when you needed it. Have the plane on gear, wings, wiring, canopy and so on. When you jump on a used engine well before you need it, you might have a $5,000 hunk of metal getting rusty sitting around. It might be a few years before you install and fly it.

Bottom line don't insult him, but I'd politely say no and get new. If you want it, than I would pay no more than $3,500 if its all we said it should be. If the history is dubious, no log books, been sitting for a long time, accessories need to be overhauled or replaced, PASS. Its supply and demand. It's not like there is a shortage of engines. You can buy engines for less than $20,000 all day long, and get them new and per your configuration. RV's don't need to use a E2D, and in fact that model is not super desirable, it ain't bad, but not perfect.

Homebuilder did not have the new clone option until just a few years ago. At first all we had was used. Than Van got a OEM deal with Lycoming, almost 20 years ago. Now in the last few years we have ECI and Superior, which are significantly less than new Lycs. Also we have great shops that cater to RV's and build up nice engines for a reasonable cost.

ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY. If you can see fit for the extra $15,000 from the start, new will be better. You can pass. There are always other used engines (but not the H2AD). However the time, effort and RISK of buying ANY used is out weighted in my opinion with the new in the last 4 years. The real bargain is the ECI engine kit, which is about $17,000. The extra money you pay a shop however is well worth it, especially if they do the engine break-in on a test stand.

Last edited:
E2D, no question. My E3D, essentially the same engine, went over 2800 hrs before OH, and even then all parts met serviceable specs. The only reason I tore it down was to increase HP. E2D is fixed pitch only. 150hp. And as has been said before, it is one of the most bullet proof engines flying. Some E2Ds didn't have fuel pump. Make sure you get ALL the parts that make the fuel pump work.

I appreciate the replies

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and input on these forums!

I have decided that I will in fact go with the E2D. After researching this forever, and after reading your comments (both on the forums and thru private email/message), the E2D just sounds like the right choice for me.

Also, whenever the time does come to overhaul (if not before hanging it and flying), I have some A&P friends who will gladly help with the process, not to mention some old friends of my grandfather who can do machine work if needed, etc. (footnote: My grandfather owned a private strip in Keller, TX for decades, and was an authorized Cessna rebuilder. He would take a plane that was storm damaged-beyond belief..tornado's, etc...and rebuild it to pristine condition....if we only still had that 25-acres where million $ homes now reside! :( )

I understand and appreciate George's estimates of OH pricing, but I hope that by using my contacts, I could save a significant amount over the average 'going rates'.

Forgive the ignorance of terminology, but the seller has assured me that he will include the necessary plate to accomodate the fuel pump. Also, I only plan on a fixed pitch prop, so everything's cool with that too.

I also wanted to be sure I had my research correct, and that the E2D was in fact, a Type 1 mount (since Vans is discontinuing the Type II Dynafocal's).

This forum is the best; thanks again! :D

Last edited:
The only engine that I know of that uses the Dynafocal II is the IO-320 from a Twin Comanche. There may be others that I'm not aware of.