Reboot

Can anyone help me find a cap for the old mechanical rpm cable connection on the back of the engine? I installed my GEA24 for my G3X touch last week and removed the old mechanical gauge. I assume there is a cap for the connection on the engine side.

Aircraft Spruce has them but they are a little pricey - about $20.

Robert

I called aircraft spruce and the person I talked to said they needed a part number. They were not very helpful. To Mel's advice I could cut the cable and use one of the ends. I would hate to destroy the cable for that thou. I'm sure someone would need or like to have the cable.

Thank you. Help searching the correct name.

IE RC-1 CAP TACH DRIVE CAP $6.00
http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1498464164-132-612&browse=ei&product=ei-tach
EI_RC-1.jpg

Last edited:
We also sell a nice aluminum and knurled tach cap. It's the same cap we supply with all of our R-1 tachometers.

Lycoming cap

You think Andair/Spruce is priceeeee????
Call Lycoming for the genuine article.
$80 +
I was very pleased with the Andair thru Spruce.
Anyone need a mechanical tach cable???

I would be 3 times happier with the $6 Van's cap.

Last edited:
Mel,
I am building a 360 and was wondering about the following:

Do I have to install the rod that transfers the RPM to the cable? I would like to remove that rod and cap the hole on the accessory case close using the Andair cap.

I was told that the rod must be installed to seal the hole and reduce the oil leaking.

Thank you.

Tach shaft

I left mine out on a rebuild, seem wasteful to spend a couple hundred bucks on something that I wasn’t going to use, but I was getting a lot of oil out the crankcase breather, so to avoid removing the rear case and installing the tach shaft I put an anti splat oil separator on the crankcase vent and that solved the problem, I still spent the money anyway!

Keith Rhea RV7
2019 dues paid

Last edited:
I don't understand what you are saying.

You added an oil separator to the crankcase breather or to the tach port?

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks.

Tach shaft

I added an oil separator on the crankcase vent because apparently if you leave the tach shaft and hardware out of a two piece camshaft you might increase the amount of oil mist out the crankcase vent.

Keith Rhea
RV7
2019 dues paid

I left mine out on a rebuild, seem wasteful to spend a couple hundred bucks on something that I wasn?t going to use, but I was getting a lot of oil out the crankcase breather, so to avoid removing the rear case and installing the tach shaft I put an anti splat oil separator on the crankcase vent and that solved the problem, I still spent the money anyway!

Keith Rhea RV7
2019 dues paid

A friend left that shaft out on his O-360 and it cost him a rebuild.

Like you found out, that shaft keeps the oil from squirting right out the breather hose. He wasn't so lucky. He did install it, when he rebuilt his new engine.