eatenbyagrue

Hi all,

I have an ECI O-360 that I had assembled and run on the test stand last year. After the successful test, it was my understanding that the shop was preparing it for storage.

Well today I pulled the dipstick to do a color match (it's a custom paint job which includes the top of the dipstick ) and there was no oil on the stick at all. Should I expect there to be? Should I put 7 quarts in for storage?

Thanks
Josh

Normal oil in the sump has no effect on storage. The only way oil would help prevent corrosion is to completely fill the engine. This method is not real practical.
If the engine is stored in a reasonably dry environment there should be no problems with corrosion. Just make sure that the crankshaft is not turned until ready for start.

Makes sense

Thanks Mel, that makes sense to me. It's pretty dry here in Grand Junction, CO, and I've got dessicant plugs in the cylinders, so seems like I'll be ok.

Josh

Mel - I just hung my engine yesterday, I can have power on it within a week. Would it do me any good to spin it with the starter for oil flow or would I be better off just leaving it alone?

Mel - I just hung my engine yesterday, I can have power on it within a week. Would it do me any good to spin it with the starter for oil flow or would I be better off just leaving it alone?

Better off leaving it alone as much as possible. Spinning the engine with the starter will just wipe down the cylinder walls.
Also the cam, the weak point of Lycomings, is lubricated only by splash. And that does not happen when spinning with the starter.