nfmeier

I'm New Here
Does anyone have any experience with the lycoming helicopter variants of engines "Lycoming HIO-360B1A Engine" I am considering this engine for use in a rv7a I dont know what the major differentes are between this and the IO 360?? will it work in a RV7 or does it need to be modified to work? I couldnt find much on it on through google so any help would be most helpful...

thank you,

nathan meier

I've got several friends using the HIO (7 and 7A) and they have had some difficulty with the exhaust and intakes. Nothing that coudn't be fixed just that they aren't plug and play adaptable with the Vans FWF. Vetterman can make you an exhaust then you simply delete that from the Vans FWF.

Both had their engine built from the same builder and he made some mistakes such as leaving out crank plug for an constant speed set up.

Send me an off line email and I'll forward it to my friends if you would like.

Jekyll
(not an HIO expert)

Here are some differences from Lycoming document SSP-289, dated July, 1989.

The HIO-360B1A has a compression ratio of 8.50:1 and is rated at 180 HP at 2900 rpm. It has a Bendix injection system with a dual diapham fuel pump. The engine must have been used in a helicopter and probably ran at 2900 rpm most of its life.

The base 0-360-B1A was 168 HP that ran on 80 octane fuel.

The IO-360-B1A was 180 HP with a Simmons FI system.

Can't tell you anything about exhaust system or how it fits, but for sure you will not have 180 HP at 2700 rpm.

dd

thanks guys

thanks for the info guys. I have seen that a few RV'ers have them in there plane but havent had the opportunity to speak to any of them first hand to find out what the major differences are eith this engine. I think Im going to go ahead and purchases this engine.
Nathan Meier,