RickWoodall

Well Known Member
A few of us spent time today trying to really understand the silverhawk type system as it sits on my plane. It appears to us that the throttle body works like a carb with fuel jets and ram air, up and through the induction tubes..it does have a venture...so we dont understand why it cant get any iceing. Then fuel is also routed up to the spider with more fuel dumped into the engine through that system too.

Does anyone have a link or video that would help us see or understand this? Figured there must be something out there in cyberland that clarifies it all in a non gearhead manner. Thanks for any input.

The experts here can answer this better than I, but just having been through working out a bug in my SilverHawk EX, I can give this simple answer:
No fuel is injected at the throttle body, it is routed through the SS lines/separate injectors screwed into the cylinder heads. The throttle body measures the airflow and meters the fuel to the injectors. If you're getting fuel into the airstream at the throttle body something is broken.

Those are not fuel jets.. I don't think that your understanding of the system is correct... I thought I saw a "manual" for RSA-5 somewhere that explains how it works.. Of course, I have a hard-copy that Don at Airflow included, but don't have an electronic copy :( Try searching on the 'net.. I'm sure you'll be able to find it.. Not sure if a video exists..

Ya...

When we look up into the silverhawk, there are 4 small jets...(they sure look like fuel jets??) then a big butterfly valve up inside past the jets...it really looks like the old carb type set ups in cars..but what do we know.
Obviously it work...just like to know how and why.
I have some visitors today, there is a past plane builder and sport bike racer here with lots of engine smarts and neither can tell me how it works either. Hmmm.
Just wondered as I enjoy learning all this stuff as I go....thanks.

Last edited:
When we look up into the silverhawk, there are 4 small jets...(they sure look like fuel jets??) then a big butterfly valve up inside past the jets...it really looks like the old carb type set ups in cars..but what do we know.
Obviously it work...just like to know how and why.
I have some visitors today, there is a past plane builder and sport bike racer here with lots of engine smarts and neither can tell me how it works either. Hmmm.
Just wondered as I enjoy learning all this stuff as I go....thanks.

Those tubes measure the airflow due to ram pressure of the incoming air. They aren't jets...

FI 101

If Precision can't tell you how their system works, WE CAN:)

Our next Fuel Injection 101 Class is the first weekend in March. There's still seats available.

Don

If Precision can't tell you how their system works, WE CAN:)

Our next Fuel Injection 101 Class is the first weekend in March. There's still seats available.

Don

I enjoyed the November class so much, I'd like to do it again. :)

Don knows FI forward and backward, it doesn't matter what your system, you won't regret doing it.