David Clifford

Well Known Member
I finished the reassembly of my 2001 Lycoming IO-540 V4A5 engine and would like some input as to what to put in the engine's logbook and what to do with the data plate. This was a propstrike engine that I overhauled myself after sending the required parts out for testing and yellow tags. What should I put in the logbook and what do I do with the original dataplate? What should the new dataplate say? Thanks and I hope these pictures show up.:eek:
2iicsut.jpg
[/IMG]
ngy0ic.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Engine Overhaul Logbook entry

I assume from your question that you are not an A&P and that you have not been issued an Airman Repairman Certificate for the engine this airplane is going on. Based on such assumption you will have to get an A&P to sign off the engine overhaul.

Last edited:
Not so sure that is correct.........Its an engine for use on an experimental only if he wanted to return it to certified duty then that is a different issue.

Last edited:
I assume from your question that you are not an A&P and that you have not been issued an Airman Repairman Certificate for the engine this airplane is going on. Based on such assumption you will have to get an A&P to sign off the engine overhaul.

The A&P sig is only needed for the condition inspection if the Repairman's Certificate is not held. No A&P signature needed for the engine overhaul, just put appropriate data concerning the overhaul in the engine logbook.

Pertinent Regs & References

Section 43.2: Records of overhaul and rebuilding.

(a) No person may describe in any required maintenance entry or form an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part as being overhauled unless?
(1) Using methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, it has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repaired as necessary, and reassembled; and
(2) It has been tested in accordance with approved standards and technical data, or in accordance with current standards and technical data acceptable to the Administrator, which have been developed and documented by the holder of the type certificate, supplemental type certificate, or a material, part, process, or appliance approval under ?21.305 of this chapter.
(b) No person may describe in any required maintenance entry or form an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part as being rebuilt unless it has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repaired as necessary, reassembled, and tested to the same tolerances and limits as a new item, using either new parts or used parts that either conform to new part tolerances and limits or to approved oversized or undersized dimensions.

91.421 Rebuilt engine maintenance records.
(a) The owner or operator may use a new maintenance record, without previous operating history, for an aircraft engine rebuilt by the manufacturer or by an agency approved by the manufacturer.

(b) Each manufacturer or agency that grants zero time to an engine rebuilt by it shall enter in the new record?

(1) A signed statement of the date the engine was rebuilt;

(2) Each change made as required by airworthiness directives; and

(3) Each change made in compliance with manufacturer's service bulletins, if the entry is specifically requested in that bulletin.

(c) For the purposes of this section, a rebuilt engine is a used engine that has been completely disassembled, inspected, repaired as necessary, reassembled, tested, and approved in the same manner and to the same tolerances and limits as a new engine with either new or used parts. However, all parts used in it must conform to the production drawing tolerances and limits for new parts or be of approved oversized or undersized dimensions for a new engine.

AvWeb has a good article on logs:
http://www.avweb.com/news/usedacft/182800-1.html

The logbook entry for a major engine overhaul should include a list of the parts that were replaced, and there should be yellow tags for various engine components that indicate that they have been inspected and certified. A handwritten entry that does not detail the complete overhaul, but merely states that it was done in accordance with the manufacturer's overhaul manual, might well mean that the engine received an el-cheapo service-limits overhaul that has little chance of making it through another TBO period.
Logbooks and other maintenance records are much more important than most people who are looking to buy airplanes realize. The entries in those logbooks constitute a history of where the aircraft has been and how it has been maintained. Sometimes they are not clear and easy to read, but as a prospective buyer you must try your best to decipher them (possibly with the help of a trusted mechanic or appraiser) in order to assure yourself that you're paying a fair price for the aircraft and that there won't be any nasty surprises down the road.

I overhauled my IO-360 A1B6 myself, disassembled and sent everything out for inspection / repair / yellow tag. I hired an A&P to oversee the reassembly. So I'm in the same boat you are wrt the data plate and log entry. Here is what I have proposed for my case:

1. Modify the data plate to change the model number to something else which will not come up on Lycoming's TC data sheet, in my case I think I'll call it a FXIO-360 A1B6.

2 Log Entry (rather lengthy):

Remanufactured FXIO-360-A1B6, S/N RL-23920-51A
This engine was disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repaired as necessary, reassembled, and tested in accordance with Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual 60294-7-12 dated July 2008, as well as all applicable and current Lycoming Service Bulletins, Service Instructions, and Service Letters, with the following non-approved exceptions which render the engine ?EXPERIMENTAL?:
  • Modifications to the case halves by Teledyne Mattituck Services, L.I. NY under invoice 2-42478, dated 8Jul2009, which:
    • Adds two oil spray nozzles Lycoming P/N 73772 to each case half for enhanced camshaft lubrication, and
    • Adds oil relief grooves between the crankcase parting surfaces above the camshaft to eliminate common oil leak problems and
    • Adds a small oil feed port from the oil gallery to the thrust face where the crankshaft forward thrust load is applied to the case, and
    • Adds tapped holes to the front face of the engine in the vicinity of the oil seal for mounting of an electronic ignition crankshaft position sensor
(Note: these ?TMX improvements? are identical to those applied by Mattituck to their experimental engine series).
  • Overhaul, calibrate, and airflow test of Bendix RSA-5 fuel servo and flow divider P/N RSA-5AD1 - 2524550-8 Serial Number 74843 rendering unit experimental, retagged under new part number EX-5, S/N 74843-EX by Airflow Performance, Inc. Spartanburg, SC, under invoice Y8-C9925. New injector lines P/N 1090187-21 (2) & -14 (2).
  • Installation of Airflow Performance Purge Valve Assy P/N 2090124-CCW, which allows for pilot-directed fuel bypass at the flow divider back to the fuel tank.
  • Installation of standby alternator on vacuum pad of accessory case, Mfgr B&C Specialty Products, P/N SD-20, S/N 0397464K.
  • Installation of Experimental Aero propeller governor Model PCU-5000 P/N P-520-036/A, S/N 07301308.
  • Installation of Plane Power 60 amp alternator, P/N AL-12?EI60/B, S/N 216-74836
  • Installation of reusable aftermarket silicone rocker-box gaskets from Vans Aircraft.
  • Installation of Electronic Ignition module, Mfgr:__________________, P/N:_____________________, S/N:______________________________.
These are the only exceptions, all other hardware, methods, techniques, and practices are in accordance with approved standards and technical data.

Engine was assembled using the following new components:
Quantity P/N Description
1 05K22720 CAMSHAFT KIT (includes lifters, hydraulic units)
2 SL13884AM10 BEARING
4 AEL16711M010 BEARING
8 SL13212AM10 BEARING
1 SL75441-1 GASKET SET MAJOR OVERHAUL
8 72198 PLUG, PISTON PIN
1 AEL19600 VALVE, TEMP CONTROL
1 AEL76121 SHAFT, TACHOMETER
1 AF15473 FUEL PUMP, NEW
8 AEL75060 BOLT, CONN ROD
8 AEL12186 NUT, CONN ROD
1 AEL61544 PLUNGER, FUEL PUMP
1 AEL18639 LOCKPLATE, CRANKSHAFT GEAR
1 SL71596 THRUST WASHER
1 CH48110-1 OIL FILTER
4 REM38E SPARK PLUGS
1 M2989 HARNESS, IGNITION (L)
1 SL72566 RING GEAR
1 75009 BRACKET, FUEL MANIFOLD
1 SL75072 GEAR ASSY, LEFT MAG/FUEL PUMP CAM
1 75444 SNIFFLE VALVE ADAPTER ASSY
3 15F19957-58 PUSH ROD ASSY
1 73027 TUBE ASSY, CYL OIL DRAINBACK
1 AEL62417 PLUG (oil cooler on acc case)
1 10-06754 COVER, TACH SHAFT

Engine was assembled using the following refurbished (yellow tagged) components:
4 FRCN13.0CA PISTON/CYLINDER ASSY
(ECI, Cerminil, P/N ECL13.0C/N, S/Ns 52438-1, 52438-9, 53287-6, 53287-10), Includes piston P/N AEL10207 STD REV 1963-1)
1 4372 MAGNETO, SLICK (S/N 91060033. 500
hour inspection 9Jun2008 by Select Aircraft
Services, Lancaster, TX under W/O 005081-00).

Complied with A.D. 2009-02-03 (Fuel Injection Servos) per S.B. PRS-107 Rev 4
Complied with A.D. 2008-14-07 (Externally mounted Fuel Injector Lines) per S.B. 342E.
Complied with A.D. 2004-10-14 (Crankshaft Gear) per S.B. 475C. Final bolt torque: 204 in-Lb, lockplate bent in place against bolt head
Complied with A.D. 1996-09-10 (Oil Pump) per S.B. 524
Complied with A.D. 1990-04-06 (Governor Line) per S.B 488A
I certify that this engine has been overhauled in accordance with Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual 60294-7-12 dated July 2008 to new limits with the exceptions noted above.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Date

I certify that this engine has been tested per Lycoming Service Instruction 1427, and is approved for return to service.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Date

This engine FXIO-360-A1B6 S/N RL-23920-51A installed in experimental RV-7A aircraft registration N7XXX with new hoses and engine mounts (Lord P/N J9613-40). Installed Stewart Warner oil cooler P/N 8432K S/N 380 after overhaul by Pacific Oil Cooler (Laverne, CA) under WO 65410 4Apr2008.

Date

Section 43.2: Records of overhaul and rebuilding.

(a) No person may describe in any required maintenance entry or form an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part as being overhauled unless?
(1) Using methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, it has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repaired as necessary, and reassembled; and
(2) It has been tested in accordance with approved standards and technical data, or in accordance with current standards and technical data acceptable to the Administrator, which have been developed and documented by the holder of the type certificate, supplemental type certificate, or a material, part, process, or appliance approval under ?21.305 of this chapter.
(b) No person may describe in any required maintenance entry or form an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part as being rebuilt unless it has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repaired as necessary, reassembled, and tested to the same tolerances and limits as a new item, using either new parts or used parts that either conform to new part tolerances and limits or to approved oversized or undersized dimensions.

91.421 Rebuilt engine maintenance records.
(a) The owner or operator may use a new maintenance record, without previous operating history, for an aircraft engine rebuilt by the manufacturer or by an agency approved by the manufacturer.

(b) Each manufacturer or agency that grants zero time to an engine rebuilt by it shall enter in the new record?

(1) A signed statement of the date the engine was rebuilt;

(2) Each change made as required by airworthiness directives; and

(3) Each change made in compliance with manufacturer's service bulletins, if the entry is specifically requested in that bulletin.

(c) For the purposes of this section, a rebuilt engine is a used engine that has been completely disassembled, inspected, repaired as necessary, reassembled, tested, and approved in the same manner and to the same tolerances and limits as a new engine with either new or used parts. However, all parts used in it must conform to the production drawing tolerances and limits for new parts or be of approved oversized or undersized dimensions for a new engine.

AvWeb has a good article on logs:
http://www.avweb.com/news/usedacft/182800-1.html

The logbook entry for a major engine overhaul should include a list of the parts that were replaced, and there should be yellow tags for various engine components that indicate that they have been inspected and certified. A handwritten entry that does not detail the complete overhaul, but merely states that it was done in accordance with the manufacturer's overhaul manual, might well mean that the engine received an el-cheapo service-limits overhaul that has little chance of making it through another TBO period.
Logbooks and other maintenance records are much more important than most people who are looking to buy airplanes realize. The entries in those logbooks constitute a history of where the aircraft has been and how it has been maintained. Sometimes they are not clear and easy to read, but as a prospective buyer you must try your best to decipher them (possibly with the help of a trusted mechanic or appraiser) in order to assure yourself that you're paying a fair price for the aircraft and that there won't be any nasty surprises down the road.

The above is certainly good shop practice, however:

FAR 43.1 (applicability)
(b) This part does not apply to any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft.

Thanks Sam, I meant to mention that these were not applicable if changing the engine to experimental, as I did. But yes, good practice anyway and could help your resale value if you are explicit about what was done. No reason to be any less detailed about what's in your engine,as far as I could see...

Anybody.

Thanks Sam, I meant to mention that these were not applicable if changing the engine to experimental...

I think that 14CFR43.1(b) makes whether or not the engine is "experimental" irrelevant. If it's on an experimental aircraft, anybody can work on it.

Yes this engine is now an "experimental". So, do I remove the Lycoming data plate and replace it with a new one? I am thinking something like this:

Experimental IO-540
Model: Assembled IO-540 V4A5
Serial No.: 001
Normal 260 H.P. @ 2700 rpm
Av-Gas Min Octane-91/96
Spark Advance: 25*

As far as the log book entry: Should I start a new logbook with the Experimental data information or just put an entry into the original log book that it was removed from N_________ on ________ as salvage and dissassembled be (me) in accordance with Lycoming SB #___ for propstrike inspection and reassembled by (me), attached a new data plate indicating engine is now placed in the "Experimental" catagory?

I don't want to get too overly technical or specific in the information. I just want to know what is required. The engine we installed in the Cozy MKIV was an "Experimental" Superior IO-360 so I don't see how this can be any different. Heck,,,,if you can put car motor in an experimental AC without an A/P A/I log book entry,,,why would this be any different?
Bob Thanks for getting my pictures up! For whatever reason I could not get them to display.

Thanks for your suggestions and help. I love this forum!

Hi David...

....we simply flipped the original data plate and engraved the info there.

It became a "Smith/Morgan 0-360" with the same serial number as our RV-6A....approved by the DAR.

Yours obviously could become a "Clifford 0-540 V4B" or some such. Kinda what Superior and others do.

The best,

I think that 14CFR43.1(b) makes whether or not the engine is "experimental" irrelevant. If it's on an experimental aircraft, anybody can work on it.

You make an interesting point. When the DAR shows up and assigns either a 25 or a 40 hour flyoff requirement based on whether you have a certified engine & prop, a non-certificated mechanic (homebuilder) having rebuilt the engine would certainly mean a 40 hr. flyoff.

I would continue to use the original logbook. the more history you have on the engine, the better.
Besides, you need to continue with "total time" on the engine.