pgroell

Well Known Member
Friend
Seems new in Vans webstore, they are now selling Lycoming factory experimental engines : XO-320, XO-360.......
The price difference between certified and XO being visible here

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/lycoming_order_form.pdf

On the order form they are also indicating that all engines are equipped with :
roller tappets, dual magnetos, ignition harness, fuel pump, starter, vacuum pump drive, prop governor drive, and carburetor/injector.

Carb or injectors

Wow, I've never compared the price of the O-360 and the IO-360, but now I understand why so many people still fly with a carb. Ouch!

O-360-A1A 180hp $25,250.00
IO-360-M1B 180hp $31,150.00

Price difference - $5,900

rv8ch said:
Wow, I've never compared the price of the O-360 and the IO-360, but now I understand why so many people still fly with a carb. Ouch!

Or, how about a roller tappet FI (w/AFP) engine built by a company just as reputable as Lycoming for $23,900 (Mattituck).

Price difference? Priceless! (That amounts to $1300 LESS than a carburated roller engine from Lycoming, and $7600 less than the Lyc FI.)

You gotta' love competition!

rv8ch said:

Part of that price diff might be forward facing/horizontal induction sump (M1B) vs. vertical induction sump (A1A, I think)

DAve

"but now I understand why so many people still fly with a carb"

I will admit being cost conscious, but as important to me was also weight, simplicity, and easy starting. Plus, most of the second offenders I meet built FI on their first RV, and a carb on their second...I took it as a hint.

JC

Not apples to apples. The Lycomming IO uses horizontal induction versus vertical. Mattituck charges $1,700 for the horizontal option. For a better comparison, check Mattitucks web page and you'll see an O-360 is $23,425 and an IO-360 is $23,915 for a delta of $490 for injection. Both of the engines are roller tappet, constant speed and VERTICAL induction so the only difference is injection versus carb.

Competition is good for us and Lycommings entrance to the Lyclone business will be good for builders.

Lycomming Thunbderbolt's price for an XO-360 is $325 less than Mattituck's price for the same engine. Mattituck will sell you a horizontal TMX-IO-360 for $2,475 less than Lycomming Thunderbolt.

Van's may be the big winner here with the introduction of the Thunderbolt series as they will start capturing some of those Lyclone sales that went in the past to Superior, ECI, Aerosport, Mattituck, Penn Yann and others.

Jekyll

$1,800 is $1,800 but...

For that "small" amount of cash, why would anyone build their own?

That seems like a small price to pay for "no worries".

(This coming from a guy who is going to fly with an O-290-D2 he has redone himself.)

Lycoming custom engines

Talking to a Lycoming rep not to long ago he clued me into their entry into the experimental market. I may have misheard him, I was not really interested for myself, but as I understand it they also will do made to order, custom engines. They also offer a new cylinder that uses auto plugs for example (without an adapter). It is about time and glad Lycoming decided to get into the market. Hope it helps their bottom line since I would like to see them have a long (longer) life.

I'd be interested in those cylinders, I heard something about lycoming using a hot oil bath to hone new cylinders at operating CHT.