Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
I purchased a 0-360 180 hp Lycoming and Sensenich prop from Van's while at Sun n Fun. At the time I was told to expect the prop by the 1st of Jun and the engine by 14 June. I sent Van's the rest of the money for the engine about a month ago. Received a call from Vans yesterday; the prop should be in any day, but the engine won't be sent until the 20th of July. Six weeks after I was told I would receive it. I'm pretty disappointed and ragged out at the delay. Sure screws up my plans to paint in August and fly in September. Anybody else out there got the same story from Lycoming via Vans? Best regards, Bill of Georgia

Good luck

Holly cow! You didnt have an engine even ordered at by sun n fun and you expected to finish and fly in august. Wow, thats would be some fast work.
I will get my engine late summer, and have my fingers crossed i can have it unpainted and in the air by late summer the next year. Figured engine to flight was a good 7-12 months work unless you go full speed. Maybe you will get some good news and get it done.

All the best.

Engine Woes

That doesn't surprise me. With Crane going out and Superior also. Lots of these venders to LYC. are also automotive venders. They are in a bind with what is going on with the Big 3. I work for a very large Auto Parts mfg. and we source raw material and finished goods from several sources and right now it is tough. There was a previous note about ECI and the engine cases. This could be the same problem. Lyc is not a large customer for anyone so most likely low priority.

Rick, this is'nt my first airplane to build. Fact is the first one was much more difficult to construct. On this 8a the tail, wing and fuselage were about done before the first year. Since then I've been saving for the engine and prop. I figured a couple three months to mount the engine, and cowl, finish the wiring and such is not excessive when you devote every evening for 4-5 hours and all weekends minus flying and Church time. That and I have the luxury of having a couple three good true friends that will always lend a hand. I worry about Lycoming having my $ 22,000 plus and no engine until late July. What if they go belly up as so many others have ? Who would have thought GM and Chrysler would tip over ? Scares me to think Lycoming following and I would lose all I saved for. Best regards, Bill

I received my engine from Mattituck on July 1st (2006) and MT propeller on July 15th with first flight Aug 23rd. I don't recommend this approach as its a lot of work.

You really need to know what you're doing to have everything such as plumbing, hardware, baffling, cowling, engine monitor wiring, sitting on the work bench ready to go. Plus a few overnight UPS/Fedex shipments.

Don't rush to get to first flight. I had to due to potential job posting.

Last edited: