mstrauss

Well Known Member
Patron
Just got an update from Vans on my TB 390EXP order. From the email they are ramping up production, and plan to get through the 400 engine backlog some time in 2026 (Feb for regular engines, and June for TB). I got a date of 4/2025. Great to know things are moving along. Not the timeframe we would have liked, but given all that has happened, this is great news.

Got the same email and while it’s nice to get some projections, I’m quite surprised at the timeline. I ordered (YIO390-Exp119) in July 23 and my window for production is slated for Oct. 2025, a cool 27 months if everything holds. When I ordered the projection was 6-10 months. I’m a bit frustrated.

Got the same email and while it’s nice to get some projections, I’m quite surprised at the timeline. I ordered (YIO390-Exp119) in July 23 and my window for production is slated for Oct. 2025, a cool 27 months if everything holds. When I ordered the projection was 6-10 months. I’m a bit frustrated.
Wow…you ordered after me and are getting yours before me! I wouldn’t be too disappointed or frustrated if I was you!

Wow…you ordered after me and are getting yours before me! I wouldn’t be too disappointed or frustrated if I was you!

I guess perspective is part of the equation (mine is a non TB), but if they knew their projected windows were that far off, I would have hoped they would have adjusted them. We’re several years past the worst of the Covid supply chain issues. It is what it is, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t frustrated.

Last edited:
Similar. I got October of 2025.

So the real question is, what all has to be done after receiving an engine? How long would someone expect it to take to be flying if they could get everything possible done while waiting on its arrival. I’m building an RV8 and am hoping to have just about everything I can finished when it arrives.

Similar. I got October of 2025.

So the real question is, what all has to be done after receiving an engine? How long would someone expect it to take to be flying if they could get everything possible done while waiting on its arrival. I’m building an RV8 and am hoping to have just about everything I can finished when it arrives.
I just got September 2025. This really blows. I'll be ready to fly (if I had an engine) this summer...

Just to answer a question that may get asked: The timeline schedules for Thunderbolt (built in Lycoming's custom shop) vs. non-Thunderbolt engines (built on the assembly line) means that order dates won't line up across the two production processes in terms of first in first out. However, we have scheduled the engine builds for each product line per the original order dates.

I emailed Van's last week asking for any type of build date and received a response of March 2025 for a 390TB ordered March 2022. Originally given an April 2023 ship date from Van's in Sept 2022, Then Lycoming gave a 12-18mo lead from order date on Sept 2023 . So it went from 11mo, to 12-18mo, then to 36mo. None of this info was offered by Van's but had to be pulled, usually after multiple e/m & phone calls. Yet, the info was there, just unwilling to be open with its customers. Very disappointing.

Just to answer a question that may get asked: The timeline schedules for Thunderbolt (built in Lycoming's custom shop) vs. non-Thunderbolt engines (built on the assembly line) means that order dates won't line up across the two production processes in terms of first in first out. However, we have scheduled the engine builds for each product line per the original order dates.
Greg -

A couple of questions: Why is Vans asking for the balance due 4 months prior to the expected build date? 120 days seems a little lengthy. 5% in a mm fund is almost $208 a month in opportunity cost or if paying interest even more. I could see 30 or 60 days….

And for the 50% of the remainder retained by Vans is that placed in the escrow account?

Great info Greg! I wasn’t inferring any issue or complaint with the info I received and delivery date for my engine, just trying to point out to the masses that complaining isn’t going to change anything when we’re all in the same boat. I know others that have been and will wait a lot longer for their engine. We appreciate the email tonight with estimated production dates for our engines!
One hanging question I still have is this…will Lycoming still call us prior to sending our TB engine to production to finalize and confirm our order details? I never put colors down on the order form as I was told I would be called by a rep from Lycoming, and need to get that squared away. Thank you!