DaX

Well Known Member
Not that I'm close to buying an engine or anything, but I cannot find anywhere (already searched) a listing of what engine model stands for what. I hear lots of stuff tossed around "stay away from the H2AD", "A1A is good" - but I want to be able to decide for myself, and I can't do that unless I can see what all is available and what the differences are.

I'm sure it's out there, and I'm probably just overlooking it, but I'd appreciate a helpful nudge in the right direction. Someone please break it down for this newbie. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Van's manual

Hi Todd,
In the back of Van's manual he lists all the Lyc models and the differences.

Regards,
Pierre

Thanks Pierre. Les just emailed me a .pdf with exactly what I was looking for also! Quick response!

SSP-204 a good start

DaX said:
Not that I'm close to buying an engine or anything, but I cannot find anywhere (already searched) a listing of what engine model stands for what. I hear lots of stuff tossed around "stay away from the H2AD", "A1A is good" - but I want to be able to decide for myself, and I can't do that unless I can see what all is available and what the differences are.

I'm sure it's out there, and I'm probably just overlooking it, but I'd appreciate a helpful nudge in the right direction. Someone please break it down for this newbie. Thanks :)
First, a publication called "Certified Aircraft Engines", SSP-204, Feb 2004.

http://www.lycoming.com/support/troubleshooting/resources/SSP204.pdf

This is lycomings Certified engine guide. It explains the difference between a A1A, D1A and H2AD (somewhat in broad terms). The guide explains their engine suffix for all their engines. The suffix indicates things like if an engine has dynafocal/conical mounts, constant speed prop capability, carb or FI, compression ratio, HP, type of: carb, mag, crank, prop flange.........

It's a good start. Most Lycs start as an A1A, call it the base line or generic engine. The other engines or suffix ID's are usually differences referenced back to previous models. All variations trace back (usually) to the base line. Some times the differences are inconsequential, like a new magneto dash number. Other times its a major differences, which can make the engine undesirable or usable for RV use. The guide is cryptic and convoluted somewhat but its a good start.

You can always search these archives with an engine suffix. I am sure people have already asked if engine 'XYZ' is OK to use in a RV and why or why not.

A select few reasons of many people prefer one engine over another:

-HP a 150 HP verse 160 HP O-320's (debate on value of 10 HP)
-Constant speed prop - Sold crank vs hallow crank, Governor accessory drive
-Fuel pump - Some Lycs don't have a mechanical fuel pump set-up (for high-wings)
-Engine mount - Dynafocal I, II and Conical. Dynafocal I is preferred (the others work)
-Wide or narrow deck - preference and not shown in SSP-204 (basically narrow=old, wide=newer)
-Sump - some carbs/TB's are bias to the rear, even side/aft mounted (may be changed out if u find a sump$$)
-Induction (I or IO prefix)- Carb v FI, fwd/horz or vertical. (Horz is FI or pressure carb - stay away from press carb)

>Converting a 320 from 150HP to 160HP - Is not recommended on some models of the 320 but its done all the time.

>Engine mount: Dynafocal I, II and Conical mounts are all supported by Van's; they require different mounts.

>Sumps - can be changed and cowl mods are done to adapt the unique engines (H2AD) to RV's for example. Search the forums.

>Fuel Pumps - Some engines don't have the drive pad for the mechanical pump. There are work arounds for that. Search the forums.

>Constant speed prop - Some engines config's that indicate fixed prop can easily be converted to CS props, some can not. It primarily has to do with the crankshaft being hallow. The SSP-204 guide is not great for determining this. In the real world there are variations within the same model number. Hallow cranks use a removable plug to adapt to fixed prop operations. That plug can be removed. A solid crank? Out of luck. The case also needs to be drilled for hyd fluid and an accessory drive pad for the gov is needed. You can always modify & switch parts, but that becomes uneconomical. General wisdom is buy what you want, unless the engine is free, conversions can cost more money and time than it's worth.

>H2AD - is unique, an engine that works; again search the forums. If found for a bargain in good condition, it can be a good value but does require "adapting" and requires a H2AD engine mount from vans. Its an OK engine w/ a bad rep from it's early years. Again long story - do an archival search here.

Some things are preference and some NO GO items. Do a search on any of the above topics and you'll find extensive debate. Bottom line there are similarities between all models.

A good conversion idea many have done, is get flying with say a used fixed pitch prop engine. When your are ready (and have the money) to go constant speed prop, fuel injected or what ever your heart desired, sell the engine and buy another that fits the bill 100%, verses converting the existing engine.

Go to lycs web site or Google Lycoming 'Key Reprints'. This is a free publication. "Key Reprints" has articles on General (info), Maintenance and Operation of Lyc engines. The info is a goldmine. I think every pilot should read the key reprints once. Also consider Sacramento Sky Ranch "Lycoming Continental Engineering Manual". Well worth buying. http://www.sacskyranch.com/pubsem.htm

Good Luck & happy engine hunting. Of course buying a new engine solves the alphabet soup issue. It's another debate worth researching - New v Used. By the time you buy and rebuild an old engine, you may be with in $1000-$9,000 of new. One will be a used rebuilt, the other a brand new engine. You decide but in context of overall build cost, consider the new option with warranty.

Last edited:
Nice Engine info

Thanks for the link and the write up GMC. Appreciate the time that took.

As has been typical, I'm blown away by the quality and speed of response I get here!

O-320-nothing conversion?

I have an old Tripacer engine, the O-320-nothing. The data plate says 150 HP, though many have suggested this "earliest" version of the engine was closer to 140-145 HP. Either way, I would like to convert it to 160 IF IT IS SAFE. This is a narrow deck with lighter cyl flanges and there is no STC issued...telling me it was not deemed appropriate in the certified world.

Is it safe structurally to do this?

engine

Mahlon responded to another post on this just a couple of weeks ago. If you not have the cylinder flange reinforcing plates. you will have to change all the cylinder studs.
This is a lot of work.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

I have an old Tripacer engine, the O-320-nothing. The data plate says 150 HP, though many have suggested this "earliest" version of the engine was closer to 140-145 HP. Either way, I would like to convert it to 160 IF IT IS SAFE. This is a narrow deck with lighter cyl flanges and there is no STC issued...telling me it was not deemed appropriate in the certified world.

Is it safe structurally to do this?

Dan, welcome to VAF:D

With your background, and FAA certs, I would expect you to be schooling us on this question.

So what is 81243???

Good to have you aboard, enjoy the ride.

wide deck

Many of the engines in the Lyc directory were built in both narrow and wide deck. The Lycoming directory does not help in determining wide/narrow deck. If you have the entire engine the cylinders tell the story. If you have just the case, or an engine without cyls, the serial number on top of the case identifies WD/ND. A -27 or similar two digit number is narrow deck. -27A is wide deck. The narrow deck engines are slowly getting harder to support.
Most of the 0 320 E series cannot support a constant speed prop but some can. The key is that the directory will say 0 235 front main bearing. These will not support a constant speed prop. The E series that do not say this WILL support a constant speed prop.
Regarding the fuel pump, most if not all late 0 320's have the pad for the fuel pump. The pad can be machined by a company like Divco and you will then need an idler gear with the eccentric lobe and a pushrod. Not a big deal at all. If you are lucky you may find someone to trade parts with and this would be cheaper than the machining.
For a homebuilt there are lots of options. The type II dynafocal can be converted to type I, carb to fuel injection, lots of sump options, both certified and non.