agirard7a

Well Known Member
I have an 0320 E2D. I changed the assesories
case to accommodate a fuel pump and upgraded from
a 150hp to a 160hp using larger pistons. Does this
Change the three character code? If so, any idea what
code? Thanks.

160 hp

I think you mean taller pistons. Hope you changed to the 160 hp heavy wall piston pins.
The Ram STC for upgrading the E2D requires either nitride, chrome or nickel cylinders.
The A.M.R.&D STC for E2A does not require a cylinder upgrde. The engine remains a E2A, apparently with a supplemental data plate in adition to the original.
The E2D has the 0 235 front main bearings so it definitely does not become a D series.
As far as experimental there are people running 10/1 pistons in plain steel cylinders with two piece front main bearing.
Lots of information available on Lycoming group and by googling 150 to 160 hp conversion.

In a word......

I have an 0320 E2D. I changed the accessories
case to accommodate a fuel pump and upgraded from
a 150hp to a 160hp using larger pistons. Does this
Change the three character code?
If so, any idea what
code? Thanks.

NO!

OK, due to "number of word rules", NO, NO, NO.

150-160 upgrade

Yes in fact I did get the thick wall pins. I do have steel wall cylinders and the two piece front bearing. Regarding the STC what is involved in getting one? does one need one if experimental? thanks.

STC stands for "Supplemental Type Certificate". If you don't have a Type Certificate, you can't Supplement it.

In other words, STCs do not apply to experimental amateur-built aircraft.

This 0320 has become experimental, experimental, experimental and will remain so until the original parts of a 0320 E2D are reinstalled.

It can not be called anything else unless you jump through a myriad of government hoops to re-certify it.

This 0320 has become experimental, experimental, experimental and will remain so until the original parts of a 0320 E2D are reinstalled.

And even then, it must be approved by Lycoming as meeting it's type design. Not likely to happen.

Thanks

Thank you for the input. Seems its done often
With the 0320 in the experimental catagory.
Steel wall cylinders with 2 piece front bearing
does not seem to be an issue.