poteroo

I'm New Here
Does anyone know of a VANS owner who fitted this engine to any model of RV, but more specifically, to a RV-9A using 1600 lbs auw?

Yes, I hear the guffaws out there, but I have a very good reason for the question.

thanks for all replies,undefinedundefinedundefined

Yes

Hi Poteroo,
Someone else asked this question recently and I'm sure you'll find someone who has a 9 with an 0-235. Hey, if a Grumman Traveller flies with a 108 HP, why not a -9?
Regards,

O-235

Poteroo,

I am using the O-235 on my RV-9. I am 20 months into a slow build wing and quick build fuselage. I'm looking for longer range with the smaller engine, what are your reasons? Take a look at my website if you like. Not much there yet, because I just put it up.

John

www.rv-9.com

pierre smith said:
Hi Poteroo,
Someone else asked this question recently and I'm sure you'll find someone who has a 9 with an 0-235. Hey, if a Grumman Traveller flies with a 108 HP, why not a -9?
Regards,
One small correction Pierre - the Traveler (four-seat) has an O-320 - the two-seat Yankee/Trainer/TR-2 was the one with the O-235. And when I pulled up to the gas pump in my Yankee, guys would ask "What kind of experiemntal is that? Is that an RV-6?" (Of course, I had put an O-320 in it by then....)

Paul

Thanks everyone. Hoping to get info from someone with an operational unit, but it's a good start.

Since you ask, and I'm in the calm of the office, (we're GMT+8 here),I can let you know of a move in Australia which will really shake the foundations of GA as we know it.

Out here, we have an organisation called SAAA, (=EAA), which has been the structure via which all experimental building was done. But there was a seperate organisation known as the Australian Ultralight Foundation,(AUF), now called Recreational Aviation Australia,(RAA) which handled all the very small stuff - up to 544kg.

Now we have LSA, and that falls under RAA. Our limit is 600kg,(same as yours), but we have no limits on speed -so if you can squeeze under 600kg and click 150kts -good luck son!

But RAA have just applied for 750kg auw for all LSA,and it's likely to happen,because that's what the European LSA aircraft are certified to under JAR

Now this means the VANS RV-9A, using the 0-235 engine, which has already been tested by VANS and the auw posted as 727kg,(1600lbs), fits under the proposed Aussie top weight. The performance figures are damned good - better than some of the expensive European LSA - and we are really excited at the thought of flying the very 1st VANS RV ever to get into LSA!

So, you can see why I need to locate every US owner who's ever borne the laughter of his mates, but stuck to the plan, and installed the little engine.

thanks again to all of you who've responded,

Stan Shannon

Poteroo,

Stan Shannon in Lubbock, Tx has built three O-235 RV-9's. Can't seem to find his phone number, but I know Van's would give it to you if you call them. Good luck!

John

PS. You'll hear alot less laughter when gas hits 8 bucks a gallon!

Last edited:
Check with Stan Shannon in Fredericksburg, TX. He is flying a -9A with the
O-235.

Yukon said:
Poteroo,

PS. You'll hear alot less laughter when gas hits 8 bucks a gallon!
Thats we we have a throttle for. It's a go-fast/save gas knob, unlike the go-fast/go-slow knob in jets.