flyguy6a

Folks,

Who are some of the top rebuilders for 4 cyl Lycos, and what kind of price range can I expect for a pro "no frills" rebuild to SMOH=0 specs?

Some of these folks don't make it easy to get a quote. The engine is first run with 2100 hrs.

Thanks,

It may not need a rebuild

Do you know the engine's history...oil usage per 5 hours, 10 hours? Compressions? Many of these engines will push 3,000 hours if they're properly cared for and on experimentals, TBO hours are only a guideline.

Best,

Rebuild

Corona Cylinders - Corona Airport, CA

Talk to Ben (owner) - he does great work and can incorporate some mild performance mods in your rebuild (port / polish etc.)

I think some places are reluctant to give a quote because they don't know what they're going to find inside the engine. There are a lot of things that can significantly impact the cost of a rebuild, that you just won't know until you get it all taken apart.

You might talk to Central Cylinder Service here in Omaha, they seem to have a good reputation. I was there and met the guys a couple of weeks ago and was favorably impressed. I got the impression that not much gets out the door without the owner having a hand on it at least once or twice. I saw everything there from a 75 HP Continental to a Merlin and an Allison. Top notch work.

Never overhaul an engine because of hours! If it performs well and doesn't burn a lot of oil, FLY IT!

As said before, a properly cared for Lycoming will easily go to 3,000 hrs. without a problem. My O-320 had over 2800 hrs when I rebuilt it and every part that I removed, more than met servicable tolerances. The only reason I rebuilt it was to increase the HP.

Jack,

My first run 0-360 Lyc has 2600+ hours. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Save your money.

Bevan

Lyc Rebuild

Hi Jack,

IF you need to rebuild, there are many good shops--however, I would highly recommend America's Aircraft Engines!! Talk with Steve Fowler--owner.
Take a look at their web site testimonials at overhaul.com.

Cheers,

db

Overhaul

I have dealt with Mena Aircraft Engines in Arkansas 479-394-7688 on several engines over a 15 yr time span and have been happy with their work and the long term performance & reliability.

Don Broussard

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress