Doug Rodrigues

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a crankshaft that has the thrust surface worn .001" beyond tolerance. Question: Does anyone here know of a specialty shop that can plate the thrust bearing face thicker to compensate for the worn thrust surface on the crankshaft?

Doesn't ECI use a thrust bearing?

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a crankshaft that has the thrust surface worn .001" beyond tolerance. Question: Does anyone here know of a specialty shop that can plate the thrust bearing face thicker to compensate for the worn thrust surface on the crankshaft?

One of the engine manufacturers advertises that they use a thrust bearing. Don't know if it is the case, the crank thrust face or both that are machined to permit use of the thrust bearing. Might be a possibility.

Larry

Crankcase Services

Talk to Crankcase Services near Tulsa. They should be able to help you. They advertise in Trade A Plane. As I understand it, Lycoming does not use a thrust bearing as Continental does, but the thrust surface is part of the crankcase. They should be able to build it up for you.

I learned something....

Yup, no thrust bearing in the Lyc O-360. What was I thinking? There has got to be some way to do this without making a making a major project out of it. Thank you all for the info. I'll make some phone calls.

They can't plate the thrust face of the case, it can only be built up by welding then re-cutting the thrust face. I wouldn't worry about .001", just put the case and crank together and see what the crankshaft end play is.

One of the engine manufacturers advertises that they use a thrust bearing. Don't know if it is the case, the crank thrust face or both that are machined to permit use of the thrust bearing. Might be a possibility.

Larry
Larry,

ECi offers it but you have use their case, I believe. Here is one of the lines from the engine I ordered:

ECi said:
Crankcase with dynafocal I engine mount and thrust washer modification

"HAROLD, CRANKCASE SERVICES, INC. IN SAND SPRINGS, OK. 918-857-1134 CELL/ANYTIME 866-276-6767 SHOP"

Harold at crankcase services sent me the above information, but I ended up buying another crankcase and crankshaft already. But anyway, Thanks Harold! Good information to know that somebody can do something about such a problem.